World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 27th October 2007, 06:19 PM

Default A Conundrum

Now here's the thing,
I have a h/amp, the Bada PH 12, there are two pairs of caps that really influence the final sound.

So I got rid of the grey, boring, shut-in Solens and used the cheap Mundorf-Audiophilers - great little caps but I had to try something else.

Russian K75 polypropelene-ish in oil (thanks for the info Weislaw), I have used these in Phono11 in the 2.2uF position.

Thanks to Bizzie I had 2 to use in the Bada. I fitted them and was surprised at just how lively and fresh they sounded. OK, they are a little harsh round the edges but this should go in time. They are incredibly involving - real foot tapping gear. I never got this from Phono11. One could say they sound a little 'loose' but incredibly involving.

OK,OK I know I should wait until they burn in fully but I did'nt. I decided to take out the 2, .47uF Mundorfs and use the same Russian K75 caps here too, figuring that I may bipass with Russian Teflon 0.022uf jobbies.

Changed the caps and sat down to listen. I was sure that now, together this combo might well be overpowering but no, the reverse was true. It's still a better sound than before but some of the liveliness has gone and I find that really puzzling.

I shall use the Teflons with the .47s but maybe I need to replace the Mundorfs and use these with the Teflons.

I just find it strange that the reverse to what I thought would happen.Does anyone have similar experiences with caps.
Old 27th October 2007, 08:48 PM

Default Re: A Conundrum

I suppose it's further proof that there are no rules when swapping caps and resistors. Though you did say it sounded better.

Its just a matter of getting the recipe right.
Who would think of using cheap Black Gates as coupling caps? Yet I preferred them to a variety of polyprops in one application.
Old 27th October 2007, 10:47 PM

Default Re: A Conundrum

Al,
it has to be this synergy thing.

I bipassed the .47uF Russian polys with the Teflons tonight and that has brought a sparkle to the top end and there is more detail. I will probably let this combo stay for a few days but I have a funny feeling that the Mundorf with the Teflon is going to be the best. The 2.2uF Russian poly is staying, why it is so much better in the h/amp than Phono11 I don't know.