World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 12th November 2007, 10:09 PM
PhilN

Default Why the SL1210/1200?

Hi all,

Does anybody know why the SL1210/1200 are favoured over other Technics decks?

If you are going to replace the arm anyway, is there any advantage over choosing an LS12010/1200 over any other Technics quartz locked DD drive?

The all seem to have similar arms and so I would expect the OL Rega armboard to work with all of them if you are prepared to get the tools out.

Cheers,

PhilN
Old 13th November 2007, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Why the SL1210/1200?

as far as I know the SL1200/1210 are the only Technics decks in current production, which is why they're favoured,

they use 10" arms which is why the Rega is a direct replacement if you change the armboard, obviously there are also other arms that could be considered, like for example the Nima

of the older decks like the SL110/120, they were normally set up with a 9" SME 3009, although with the 110 you could change the whole armboard and fit whatever you liked,

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/al...hp?pic_id=1538

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/al...hp?pic_id=1884

Old 13th November 2007, 10:00 AM

My question would be, do they all use the same motor, or if not, which ones are good and which are cheap and cheerful? I want to get hold of a cheap second-hand DD in order to build another slate-based turntable. SL1200s fetch hundreds, whereas other Technics turntables go for pennies. If the mechanicals are all the same, I could save myself a lot of dosh.
Old 13th November 2007, 11:34 AM

Hi Shane-some time ago i posted a link to the "Vintage Technics" web site that listed all the DD decks they made and also the specs.

Just tried the link again and it has changed !!!!

So,from memory,the quartz locked speed control came in,i think,from the SL150 mk2onwards.

SL1500=fully manual with arm
SL150=fully manual without arm (but SME3009 was the usual one fitted)

I think the origin live Rega arm base adaptor will fit earlier models,I had an early 150 some years ago and made an adaptor for my RB300 but the deck suffered from speed stability problems (dirty speed pots ?)so was disposed off.

Philip

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.

Last edited by pre65; 13th November 2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old 13th November 2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post

I think the origin live Rega arm base adaptor will fit earlier models,I had an early 150 some years ago and made an adaptor for my RB300 but the deck suffered from speed stability problems (dirty speed pots ?)so was disposed off.

Philip
you have to be a bit careful, the cut out size varies between models, the current 1200 is I think 120mm, the earlier ones are smaller,

Old 13th November 2007, 10:17 PM
PhilN

I think Shane is thinking along the same lines as me - are the more modern technics quartz locked DDs as good as the SL1200/1210?

The SL-Q3 is quartz locked too and goes for a quarter of the price of a 1200/1210. Is it just forgotten about or was there cost cutting involved? If you are going to junk the arm and the motor is the same why not go for the SL-Q33?

I too used to look at the vintage technics site but it disappeared for a long time. I found a rescued version of it here though.

http://www.vintagetechnics.stereomanuals.com/menu.htm

Phil
Old 28th November 2007, 11:06 AM

PhilN, I guess i'm not surposed to do this, but if your interested I have a SL1210mk2 up for sale on ebay, look up freefallrob.
Old 6th January 2008, 04:03 PM

i've decided to give a 1200/1210 upgrade a go to see how it fairs up against my current set up:gorb,hr,evo arm and pickering pickup.
i find my musical taste errs towards punchier, rock, electronic tracks. classical for example represents 1% of my listening - if that. i feel that,great as it is, my current set up may be wrong for my listening tastes.
with this in mind does anyone have the issue number of the 1200 soup-up special? i foolishly let mine get thrown.
oh, i'm in the market for a deck if anyone has one at a reasonable (non ebay) price