World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD General For discussions re World Audio Design

Old 5th November 2008, 08:20 PM

Default Heybrook heylious

Re the above, does anyone have a set of these and would care to comment?

Are they still decent compared to more modern fare, can they compete with the likes of dynaudios recent standmounters for example?

Does the price seem reasonable?

Cheers

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=120327939615
Old 5th November 2008, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Heybrook heylious

Nice little speaker. Image very well, really lovely vocals for a budget speaker or any speaker regardless of price.

I have a pair of the Heylo floorstanders (same drive units/arrangement and crossovers) as rears in surround. Cones (not drive units) are the same units as used on the living voice Auditorium speakers.

Real wood veneer (inside and out), Bituminous pads, Vifa Drivers (nice paper cones with modest magnets and polymer baskets), poly cap's, very thin solid core wiring.

Lovely sound at modest volumes, compress easily with rock music at higher volume.

Probably slightly overpriced, I paid £150 for the floorstander yonkers ago. I think £100-£120 is fair if they are mint.

Incredibly easy load suiting low feedback according to reviews. The floorstander rated at 86.5db for 1w according to Hifi World review I seem to remember.
Old 5th November 2008, 10:53 PM

Thanks Cobblers, i thought he's asking a bit much.
I found a brief mention of them in hifi worlds site, seems they sold for £339.00back in 97 so they could be over 11 years old.

I had them in mind for a second system using a tranny amp, but i'm also watching a few others on epay- Dynaudio's Audience 42's & 52's, Spendor S3's & Castle Richmond 3's though i may give them all a miss if prices get too silly.

If you had to choose a standmounter for a small room what would you pick?

Cheers
Old 6th November 2008, 02:26 AM

I use WD25a, but that's just me (that's what I use in a small room). I love 'em to bits.

Many long suffering spouses would cheerfully exterminate for much less size wise but if you can get away with the retro styling (which I like -and they dont really take up any more room than a smaller ported model typically positioned away from wall) they will work far better than many and give you big speaker sound without lumpy boomy bass.

I cannot decide for you, the traditional hifi speakers you mention all have a very different sound/compromises, if you do not know what type of sound suits you, you really should listen and buy new product from your local dealer.
Old 6th November 2008, 12:28 PM

I think they are a lovely looking speaker, if he takes offers, you could put one in, or even try to negotiate with him

yes he takes offers, I think he'd go for 175-180
Old 6th November 2008, 09:10 PM

Hi Ianm2, im keeping an eye on them, if no one else puts in a reasonable bid i may try an offer.
They do look good dont they, but do they sound up to date?

Ta Cobblers, WD25's will probably set me back more than im prepared to spend on a second system but your right they would be a good choice at the right price secondhand. The room may be a tad small tho at about 3x3m.

Cheers
Old 6th November 2008, 09:26 PM

The WD25a's are in a 3.5mx2.7m main listening area in L shaped upstairs room, wood suspended floor.

No boom at all, very tight clean sound (remember "great bass in small space") is exactly what Petercom was after, and achieved.

Self build with the superb basic prestige tweeters should not set you back too much.

They sound superb in close quarters, but they're no hideaway excuse for a speaker admitedly.
Old 6th November 2008, 10:03 PM

Thanks Cobblers, cant be bothered with self build at the mo cause im far to busy. I'll keep them in mind tho and if i see a second hand pair at the right price i may well give them a go.