World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 6th March 2009, 10:38 AM

Default Nick Drake

OK, so how many people out there in internet land really don't like Nick Drake's music...??? I've just had a bit of an early morning music session before going off to work and I've listened to Drake, on vinyl of course. There is no doubting or wondering how or why this guy became a cult figure in the eclectic music field. For me there is no wonder he is still as popular as he always was. My favourite stand out track is 'Hanging on a Star' but the likes of 'Riverman' just say a million things of which Claire Martin did a very good cover job on one of her albums.
All in all, I hope that Nick Drake's music goes on forever as it is extremely subtle and moving and it well deserves its cult status. Yet more proof that some wonderful stuff came out of the seventies along with the negatives such as punk. Long live beautiful music.
Original 2008F HDCD Player modified for UK mains: Beresford Caiman: Technics SL1210 MkII/Ortofon OM30 Super/Audioref mat/Aluminium puck: Croft Micro 25 Basic Pre: Croft Series 7 Power: Dali Suite 2.8 Loudspeakers: Van Den Hul D102HB Mk III Interconnects: NVA LS5 Loudspeaker Cables:

Secret Lust: VPI Scout II/Sumiko Blackbird:

Shaunie Boy
Old 6th March 2009, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Nick Drake

When I was a beardless boy heavily into the likes of Edgar Broughton, The Groundhogs and Zeppelin, one of my dreamier and more whimsical friends had a battered copy of Pink Moon. Load of girly rubbish, we all thought. I never really listened to him until two or three years ago. This was the same crowd that went to see Fotheringay on the offchance that they might be a rock band we hadn't heard of, dismissed them as acoustic **** and talked all the way through. I could weep...
Old 6th March 2009, 03:15 PM

Mmmm... I remember 1973 and Cleethorpes Winter Gardens. I was fourteen at the time and not allowed to see all of the bands that were playing there. It was far too reckless and rowdy for me to be allowed to go. The bands I missed thanks to my parents: Be Bop Deluxe, Queen, Roxy Music with Brian Eno and Genesis...!!!! Thanks a friggin bunch...!!!
Original 2008F HDCD Player modified for UK mains: Beresford Caiman: Technics SL1210 MkII/Ortofon OM30 Super/Audioref mat/Aluminium puck: Croft Micro 25 Basic Pre: Croft Series 7 Power: Dali Suite 2.8 Loudspeakers: Van Den Hul D102HB Mk III Interconnects: NVA LS5 Loudspeaker Cables:

Secret Lust: VPI Scout II/Sumiko Blackbird:

Shaunie Boy
Old 6th March 2009, 03:25 PM

I'd really like to hear Dance versions of Nick Drake's songs.
Old 6th March 2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_s View Post
I'd really like to hear Dance versions of Nick Drake's songs.

The song 'Tow the line' by ND should be done by Metallica too I reckon. Great riff.

DTB