World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 27th March 2009, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Duffy - Rockferry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
Since purchasing this vinyl album I have upgraded my cartridge from a Godawful Ortofon to a Denon DL160. The sound from this record has improved dramatically but I still find that it pushes the tracking of the Denon to the limit because it is quite loud. I have set the Denon up as best I can but there are still moments when it almost breaks up due to the sheer volume of the recording. My next purchase is to be 'Covers' by James Taylor. I bet that's not as loud...???
I like my ortofon Rondo blue, after my local friedly dealer lent me one to compare with a dynavector mc. Like all these things i guess it boils down to synergy within the rest of your turntable components, arm and support system/shelf.

I do like Duffy too and the idea of a better version on vinyl appeals.

why do they compress modern CD's? Is it to appeal to the ipod generation?
Had an argument with a mates wife over ipod quality when she claimed it was the best sound ever. I reckoned she thought she was hearing details off a hendrix album becuase everything had been rendered to the same level so the quieter sounds were brought up to the level of louder sounds.
Old 27th March 2009, 02:47 PM

I think that one of the problems with todays recordings is that a lot of people that are listening via iPods haven't a clue what quality sound is actually like. An awful lot of people these days are wrapped up in consumerism and that involves MP3's. They therefore don't have any concept of what a true high quality sound is. Most young people today appear to think that vinyl is incredibly noisy and of low quality. What on Earth ever gave them this idea...? They have clearly never heard vinyl. These same people then appear to think that MP3 is a high quality medium...!!! How can these people actually believe this...??? How can the consumer side of the recording industry actually support this...??? Profit I guess. Big bucks all over again similar to the 1960's. If they can mass produce this Godawful noise and hoodwink the majority of teens into buying it why should anything change...??? It is digital after all so it has to be the best...
Original 2008F HDCD Player modified for UK mains: Beresford Caiman: Technics SL1210 MkII/Ortofon OM30 Super/Audioref mat/Aluminium puck: Croft Micro 25 Basic Pre: Croft Series 7 Power: Dali Suite 2.8 Loudspeakers: Van Den Hul D102HB Mk III Interconnects: NVA LS5 Loudspeaker Cables:

Secret Lust: VPI Scout II/Sumiko Blackbird:

Shaunie Boy
Old 27th March 2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerhifinut View Post
I reckoned she thought she was hearing details off a hendrix album becuase everything had been rendered to the same level so the quieter sounds were brought up to the level of louder sounds.
That's the one thing I adore about vinyl, the dynamic range and how it hides away so many sounds deep into the mix. I also love the depth of image that CD doesn't have and the spread from side to side. In fact, I simply think that vinyl is wonderfully better than CD.
Original 2008F HDCD Player modified for UK mains: Beresford Caiman: Technics SL1210 MkII/Ortofon OM30 Super/Audioref mat/Aluminium puck: Croft Micro 25 Basic Pre: Croft Series 7 Power: Dali Suite 2.8 Loudspeakers: Van Den Hul D102HB Mk III Interconnects: NVA LS5 Loudspeaker Cables:

Secret Lust: VPI Scout II/Sumiko Blackbird:

Shaunie Boy