World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 9th June 2006, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Question re Kat Bush "Aerial"

What I don't understand is why anyone took the DaVinci code seriously. It is a novel, not a well researched religious text. Since the court case we have now heard that it is based on other people's research but, so what, it still doesn't stop it from being a good read (which, Shane, I agree is more than can be said for the rest of his books). So Hollywood messed up the film, what a surprise!

Similarly why do people regard the outpourings of musicians as 'gospel'. For example those fans that use the lyrics of Metallica as a code to live by. Why? Are their lives so empty that they can't figure out, by themselves, a way to live their lives satisfactorily to themselves and those about them?

Anyway, back to Aerial. I haven't heard it yet, though I loved some of her earlier albums being switched on, not by Wuthering Heights, but by 'Cloudbusting' and the marvellous accompanying video. If you ask me radio is not doing its job properly these days with regard to 'popular' music. I mean, on Radio 3 I can listen to Building a CD library and CD review and get to compare different performances so I can make up my own mind which to buy. Now that John Peel has gone the way of all men who is championing new music on radio? All I hear is the usual 'chart' drivel over and over again.

Of course I can listen to snatches of tracks on't 'net, but the quality is so poor it doesn't really do wide ranging and dynamic music justice. In fact I have a theory that the reason so much highly popular modern electronic music is boring is because the compression used actually suits MP3 playback better than music with a wide dynamic range and bandwidth. However that's another argument/thread.

No wonder jazz is making a comeback.
Old 10th June 2006, 09:56 AM

I loved Ariel, though for me it's perhaps a little 'domestic', and lacks the slightly more mystical quality of her earlier work. Still a great album though. Let's face it, who would you rather listen to? Kate? Or, say, Paris Hilton (wince) with her new single? Anyone else have the ominous feeling an album of drivel is on the way? The recording of Ariel is getting on for reference standard too; the sound quality on CD is excellent, on a par with King Crimson or Peter Gabriel remasters.

I think we're all going to suffer the consequences of John's loss for a long time. I still can't quite believe he's gone. And radio really is in a state at the moment. The only shows I bother to listen to regularly are Late Junction and Rick Wakeman's Planet Rock show (he's my musical idol anyway). I sporadically listen to Bob Harris's BBC6 show, but it's been ages since I bothered as the sound quality was always especially vile, itself a travesty considering it's a BBC station, so I'm not even sure if it's still running?
Old 13th June 2006, 10:46 AM

unfortunately:

john peel probably wouldn't have played aeriel
i've just been told to wait three months for a playable vinyl copy

fortunately:

if you have a careful root around here:

http://www.boomkat.com/index.html

it is possible to find high quality full bandwidth electronic music....

dave
Old 13th June 2006, 11:34 AM

Hi Dave

Since this is your musical taste and I wouldn't know what 'careful' means in this context, do you have any specific recommendations from this catalogue?

Always useful to have the description from someone who knows!

Thanks

Mark

Last edited by Global; 13th June 2006 at 11:59 AM.
Old 13th June 2006, 11:47 AM

Hi Dave

interesting site...just listened to a couple of things that seem to be heavily influenced by absynth(a software synthesizer from Native Instruments) although on reflection this may be cheating because its very easy to put together something 'off the wall' with a couple of very simple melodies.

To me it sounds very German at the moment, kind of ambient/industrial.

just an observation, please dont shoot me down.

Ed
Old 13th June 2006, 02:56 PM

ed

my fave is reaktor
from the same company
but you wouldn't get very far
just messing about 'cos **** sinks

start here

http://www.boomkat.com/bestsellerdet...st=genre&sp=11

then follow your nose

be careful out there

dave
Old 14th June 2006, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave dove
but you wouldn't get very far
just messing about 'cos **** sinks
Sometimes it floats - especially in 'popular' music.
Old 3rd October 2009, 07:07 PM

I like it but it takes a while to get in to.

I've got it on cd and vinyl. Not impressed with the vinyl. First copy had album 1 warped, second copy better but still not perfect.

The whole album has developed minor crackles. I find this happens with so called virgin vinyl. My old lp's seem much more robust.

My big problem is even with all the crackles, setting up cartridges, bloody Hadcock arms it still sounds better than the CD.