World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 6th October 2009, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: HEYBROOK HB3 tweeter replacement?

Hi Rory,

I think this, or a very similar unit, was used in the Rogers,

http://www.seas.no/images/stories/pr..._datasheet.pdf

It looks easy enough to implement if the dimensions are suitable, maybe just need a level adjustment which could be done by ear in-room with an inline resistor if you took the opportunity to split the xover and bi-wire at the same time.

I see the data sheet is 2007 and my speakers are 1990 so it's had a good run. Mind you the 25mm Audax soft dome ran from the mid 70's til very recently.

Rich
Old 9th October 2009, 02:57 PM

Default Alternate tweeters

For the recent small British type monitors Manufacturers seem to be using
SEAS HO737-08 , 19TFF1 , or a very similar, customized version of it.
This is technically an improved version of the 19mm fabric dome used in several speaker designs at the time of Heybrook's HB3, and later.

It is what I would use, unless I particually wanted a metal dome tweeter.

I would NOT use a 25mm dome, because those have less good off-axis high treble dispersion than well designed 19mm domes.
25mm domes are for use when one has to cross over lower in frequency than most 19mm domes are suitable for.

As HB3 has a midrange driver, likely good to at least 4kHz, I think a 19mm dome will give a better in-room tonal balance than a 25mm dome, unless you have a very live sounding room.

If you want to try for better sound than the SEAS driver, then consider the Hiquphon OW1, as this has good off-axis upper treble dispersion, and may fit the same cut-out
and screw holes as the original 19mm SEAS in HB3.

Last edited by alan-1-b; 9th October 2009 at 03:18 PM. Reason: to correct spelling
Old 16th November 2009, 04:34 PM

Default Re: HEYBROOK HB3 tweeter replacement?

Hi everybody,

I'm a new member who came across this forum while trying to find a tweeter replacement, only this time for Heybrook HB3 Series II speakers.

In my case, one of the tweeters is damaged and I'd be happy to replace it (or the pair of them) with the original unit(s). That is, I'll be happy with just a repair. Anyone around who still has the originals after an upgrade?

The original units are Seas H202. I don't seem to be able to get any technical data on them thus it's pretty much impossible to find a suitable replacement by myself. I read the suggestion to contact Peter Comeau direct but I thought I'd post here first to see about suggestions. One point I didn't see addressed in previous discussions is the question of magnetic fluid. I don't think the originals have that, yet all tweeters listed by Seas nowadays do. Wouldn't that make too much of a difference to get away without crossover modification?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help, Dieter