World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 21st August 2007, 10:11 PM

Default HDCD titles?

I took my cd player (Linn Ikemi) down to a dealer's recently to listen to some very nice valve amps (rest of my kit is Linn too but it's no fun any more) and he mentioned that the Ikemi is a HDCD player.
To tell the truth I knew it was in the sense that i'd read it in the manual but have never givenit much thought. His comment got me to trawling the interweb for HDCD cds that would be worth getting to see how different they were but I've managed to find none at all.
Anyone either know where I can source some or have any experience of HDCD? Is it worthwhile going to look for HDCD titles?

Damian
Old 21st August 2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: HDCD titles?

Hi Damien.

I think there must be good and bad examples of HDCDs, just as there are with SACD and DVD audio.
HDCDs are available in most stores like Virgin and HMV but they are not in a separate section. So it's really a matter of looking through the artists that interest you in the hope that there may be a HDCD among them. Often the the only way you spot them is by looking closely for the HDCD symbol on the back of the case, or sometimes it is written on the case spine. They certainly don't mark them clearly. Which is why you won't find them advertised.
You may even find that you already have a HDCD or two in your collection and didn't realise.
As for the sound quality, well I used to have a Linn Genki which was a HDCD machine and i really couldn't tell any obvious difference between the HDCD and CD. That doesn't mean that there is no difference of course.
As with other formats there are not that many available.
Good luck.
Old 21st August 2007, 10:58 PM

There are many titles out there which do not have HDCD anywhere on the packaging, yet show HDCD on compatable players.

I've found that a number of my CD's are HDCD compatable by playing them on my PC.

Chris

You can't take it with you when you go !
Old 3rd October 2009, 06:42 PM

All the King Crimson albums have been rereleased as 30th anniversary editions and are all HDCD. They are terrific through my Naim which plays HDCD's. I think if all cd's were recorded like that we wouldn't keep going back to vinyl.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:29 AM

All of the Roxy Music re-issues were HDCD and most of the Claire Martin jazz stuff on the Linn label is HDCD. There are some Camel albums that are HDCD as well. As for the difference...? Using my CD player the difference is very obvious.
Original 2008F HDCD Player modified for UK mains: Beresford Caiman: Technics SL1210 MkII/Ortofon OM30 Super/Audioref mat/Aluminium puck: Croft Micro 25 Basic Pre: Croft Series 7 Power: Dali Suite 2.8 Loudspeakers: Van Den Hul D102HB Mk III Interconnects: NVA LS5 Loudspeaker Cables:

Secret Lust: VPI Scout II/Sumiko Blackbird:

Shaunie Boy
Old 24th February 2010, 11:33 PM

When I had a Philips CDp through a Cambridge Audio DAC (sorry can't remember which one!), which could handle HDCD, I definitely could tell a difference.

I have a AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 with UpSampler now and although it isn't supposed to handle HDCD, the HDCD copies of Roxy Music CDs I have do sound better than the bog-standard ones.

John
Old 24th February 2010, 11:47 PM

John7 I've gotta agree with you on the Roxy Music subject. OK it's possible they've all been remixed and remastered but the HDCD discs sound fantastic.
The three Camel discs I've got sound amazing also but I do find that HDCD has a particular sound to it that some may not get on with. I have quite a few Claire Martin bits and bobs as well but these also have a distinct sound. I'm not sure what that distinct sound is or how to describe it... it's just different to ordinary CD.
Original 2008F HDCD Player modified for UK mains: Beresford Caiman: Technics SL1210 MkII/Ortofon OM30 Super/Audioref mat/Aluminium puck: Croft Micro 25 Basic Pre: Croft Series 7 Power: Dali Suite 2.8 Loudspeakers: Van Den Hul D102HB Mk III Interconnects: NVA LS5 Loudspeaker Cables:

Secret Lust: VPI Scout II/Sumiko Blackbird:

Shaunie Boy
Old 7th June 2010, 12:30 PM

Smile Introduction

Hi,
Greetings to all Forum members.
I am William.
My main interest is audio- pure 2-channel stereo listening, though I have a 5.1 HT set up and enjoy DVD and surround audio.
At the moment I am seeking help in ripping my CDs and vinyls. My external HD & PC HD both failed so getting ready to save my audio collection as soon as possible. So far I have had advice and decided to (1) have one external drive and one in my PC, both to be backed-up, both 1TB.
(2) Rip to FLAC- and taking advice from here rip to highest res possible.
(3) It is a steep learning curve for me so I will listen to any advice coming forth.
Good to be here.