World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 2nd April 2011, 09:10 PM

Default Those rare Nimbus Supercuts records

Dear friends,

A move to another apartment is often a rather painful ordeal. With its share of bad surprises. For me this time it was the loss (theft?) of my good old Meridian 506 CD player.

Fortunately, a rather nice surprise was waiting for me. By opening a suitcase containing some LPs, I found five of those famous Nimbus Supercuts records, which I had completely forgotten for years.

For those who do not see what I am talking about, here is what Gerald Reynolds, the owner of Nimbus record company, said to the English magazine Hi-Fi News & Record Review (July 2010): "One of the hi-fi magazines in the 1970s, Practical Hi-Fi did a wonderful job in getting the original master tapes for LPs, from artists like Supertramp and Joan Armatrading and we cut and pressed them as supercuts. Although we archived one of everything, we did not keep stocks - which is a real pity because they now change hands at hundreds of pounds a time ".

Oh my God, that means I do have five records which are really worth some money. Which is rather good news because I lost my job and finances are a disaster ...

The five LPs are:

Supertramp - Breakfast in America
Rickie Lee Jones - Rickie Lee Jones
Quincy Jones - Sounds and Stuff Like That
David Sancious - The Bridge
Steve Khan - Evidence

They are all more than MINT: they were never played, never left their inner sleeve!

Are there any of you experts who can tell me the minimum price I should ask for each of these discs? Should I put them on eBay or elsewhere?

Thank you in advance for your expert advice.
Old 7th April 2011, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Those rare Nimbus Supercuts records

Hi Cristobel. I recently bought Crime of the Century on Mobile Fidelity, used, from USA for £22 plus shipping. It was in very good condition. The point is they are only worth what someone is willing to pay and not some of the crazy prices seen on auction sites.

Regards

John