World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 19th August 2011, 10:07 PM

Default Holeshot Phil.

I did my first classic motocross of the year last Sunday.

I was a bit rusty, but managed to get the holeshot in the first Pre60 race, still came nearly last though.

Here I am on the line just as the flag is about to drop (292).

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 20th August 2011, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Holeshot Phil.

Well done Philip, makes me want to take up pre65 trials again
Old 25th August 2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Well done Philip, makes me want to take up pre65 trials again
Really? Makes me wonder if there isn't an Ariel languishing somewhere for want of a swinging arm . . . .

Incidentally Philip, do you have clincher bolts securing the rear tyre - I ask this for reasons not unconnected with two rear tyre failures last week.

Regards from old Baggo, still in the saddle, thinking about downsizing but a future on a D3 is not an option so still struggles with the VH.

PS Love the spiffy yellow gaiters!
Old 25th August 2011, 07:44 PM

Hi Baggus, yes I do. Security bolts are fitted to the rear wheel (2 off) and the front wheel (1 off). Essential for off road use.

Fork gaiters are getting to be a problem. The type I normally use are plasticish and crack up after a year. Also they don't come with vent holes.

Those yellow ones are too long really, but I can do something about that.£10 a pair on e-bay.

I can understand your dilemma on the Ariel, starting a 500 single on a kick start can be a problem. That's possibly why the Hinkley Triumph range of twins are so popular with older riders ?

Keep taking the pills and enjoy life while you still can.

PS how's the lawnmower ?

PPS the TriBSA in the photo has an early A10 swinging arm frame, and an Ariel swinging arm.They don't bend at the axle end like the BSA ones.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 25th August 2011, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Trousers View Post
Really? Makes me wonder if there isn't an Ariel languishing somewhere for want of a swinging arm . . . .

Incidentally Philip, do you have clincher bolts securing the rear tyre - I ask this for reasons not unconnected with two rear tyre failures last week.

Regards from old Baggo, still in the saddle, thinking about downsizing but a future on a D3 is not an option so still struggles with the VH.

PS Love the spiffy yellow gaiters!
Ah, D3, the first bike I actually bought - from a breakers I worked at for 15 bob a day on Saturdays when at school. Stripped it down and ran it on the fields. Bantams are hot in Pre65 at the moment tho I hated them...

You'd be lucky to find any spare Ariels Baggus but do let me know Can't remember if I used 2 or 3 tyre bolts, buggers to get in position, but essential when running only 2 or 3lbs in the tyre on a wet rim...

hmm, no, looks like a girl's bike Baggus
Old 26th August 2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Hi Baggus, yes I do. Security bolts are fitted to the rear wheel (2 off) and the front wheel (1 off). Essential for off road use.

Fork gaiters are getting to be a problem. The type I normally use are plasticish and crack up after a year. Also they don't come with vent holes.

Those yellow ones are too long really, but I can do something about that.£10 a pair on e-bay.

I can understand your dilemma on the Ariel, starting a 500 single on a kick start can be a problem. That's possibly why the Hinkley Triumph range of twins are so popular with older riders ?

Keep taking the pills and enjoy life while you still can.

PS how's the lawnmower ?

PPS the TriBSA in the photo has an early A10 swinging arm frame, and an Ariel swinging arm.They don't bend at the axle end like the BSA ones.
It ain't the starting - a little care in getting the piston just past TDC, spark fully retarded and 90% air slide will guarantee a first-kick start when cold. No more than two needed when hot. Get some energy into the flywheels and it's away. No, the problem is the weight and height of the machine. I can only have my toes on the ground and maneuvering the thing about is very difficult due to the high centre of mass. It has pinned me to the floor a couple of times. A pity because I love the bike and it performs excellently (Exeter-Kings Lynn and back like a rocket last week; little wonder it used to be known as the poor man's Goldie).

But I have a friend with whom I may do a deal for his Meteor Minor on 18" Borranis. The low frame height and short wheelbase with low C of G suit me well. The major drawback is that it is a parallel twin and whilst it is smoother than most, it still shakes the fillings out of yer teeth and is way down on torque compared with a long-stroke single. It also has plain bearings which might worry me as I've never had them on a bike. But it has great "chuckability" and in my view, is a seriously underrated model.

Yes Richard - the war reparations DKW is a girlie bike and will do nothing for my street cred. But I know where there is a nice Francis Barnett "Plover". What about a James "Captain"? Talisman Two anyone?

Just as well I can't afford a Black Shadow . . . . .

Baggo.

PS. Going well, thank you. There are those who think Ransomes, Sims and Jeffries are solicitors but we know better, don't we? Not had much opportunity to exercise the things this year - poor weather and too much time bell ringing. Must balance things better in the future.

Last edited by Baggy Trousers; 26th August 2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 29th August 2011, 11:14 PM

I found another photo of me in that same race, just getting off the line with front wheel off the ground.