World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 18th September 2011, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Default Just won this spinner

Well I have just won myself and another turntable A THORENS TD150 this time if it’s as good as it looks in the Add it will hopefully see good service on my rack
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250890809515?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1438.l2649

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 18th September 2011, 09:35 PM
WD Archivist

Default Re: Just won this spinner

Well done Colin. I used to have a TD150 and heavily tweaked and upgraded it. My brother now has it and uses it happily. I know you have a TD160 so you probably know all the stuff you can do to make it alot better, but I'm happy to chip in with advise if you are interested.
Old 18th September 2011, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
Well done Colin. I used to have a TD150 and heavily tweaked and upgraded it. My brother now has it and uses it happily. I know you have a TD160 so you probably know all the stuff you can do to make it alot better, but I'm happy to chip in with advise if you are interested.
Hi Greg
Thanks did’t think I was going to win it as i stopped my bit at £60.00 as I thought it was going higher
Yes I would welcome any advise you can give on the TD 150 and the TD160
I haven’t used the 160 in a long time just being using the rega3
So the TD 160 need a new plinth made it has been cork damped and has a cork platter mat and can use my mode rega RB250/251 Cardas wired and cart pins also foam filled with a Michell Techno weight on the end
So your ideas are welcome Greg I will see what the TD150 looks like when it arrives and see what can be done so even more interested in any help you can give me on this one

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s

Old 18th September 2011, 10:53 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Colin,

What i did was........

Strip the chassis from the plinth. Build a new denser plinth which is expanded to allow for a wider armboard to the Linn LP12 dimensions. If you don't have them, Origin Live will help you out with this. This will allow you to work well with your Rega arm.

The suspended sub-chassis needs damping. I applied a load of self adhesive bitumen panel originally used in the automotive industry, but this stuff is hard to find now. It used to be cheap, but although now still available, my searches for it show it to be an expensive automotive upgrade component. Whatever, you do need to damp that sub-chassis.

The extra weight of the damping material requires tougher suspension springs. Linn LP12 springs are stronger and drop in. Get cozy with your local Linn dealer. They may well supply you at a nice price with a set removed from a standard LP12 they've upgraded. Remove the original foam inserts inside the springs. They dull the sound.

Use some good oil in the bearing such as Mobil 1.

Remove as much of the mechanical linkages you can. If you don't need 45 RPM, rip out all the lifting mechanism including the nob and cable.

Get a new belt. CPC will probably be helpful here.

I even removed the on/off switch and replaced with a simple toggle option. To make it all look good, I got rid of the top thin aluminium cosmetic plate and ironed on some wood veneer in it's place which aesthetically accommodated the removal/change of switches/controls etc.

Believe me, if you carry out all these changes, you'll get a mega bucks improvement to the original sound assuming you will be using something like a Rega arm or better.

Regards,

Greg
Old 19th September 2011, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Greg
Thank you for the tips
Will follow them up as much as possible

Old 23rd September 2011, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Well the turntable looks good a check over and all seem fine bearing runs well motor is silent There is just one problem to sort out which is when trying to clean the sub and main platter is proving to be a bit of a job I have tried cleaning it with the Brasso Metal polish Wadding
which has cleaned it up a lot but still have black stain marks on the both the platters and its worse on the inner platter from old belt wear
Has anyone got a good cleaning method of getting rid of the black stain marks?

Old 23rd September 2011, 05:34 PM

I'd try one of those foam scouring pads (like you use for washing up ) on the belt rubbing surface.

Try a used one first as it will be less abrasive, and I find Dettol multi action cleaner good for stubborn marks.

Guess who does the housework.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 23rd September 2011, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
I'd try one of those foam scouring pads (like you use for washing up ) on the belt rubbing surface.

Try a used one first as it will be less abrasive, and I find Dettol multi action cleaner good for stubborn marks.

Guess who does the housework.

Thanks Philip
I will give both a try a tin of elbow grease may help as well
House work funny isn’t it I find it no problem washing /cleaning a turntable but shy away from washing the dishes