World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 17th March 2012, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Kit v. Ready-built

Good subject is kit v ready-built.

I was in that exact position 4 years ago, I wanted to try valve amplification having never owned one but, I had in the past listened to a mate's system which left a very strong positive impression on me-from memory it was a pair of E.A.R monoblocks working into a pair of B+W speakers-I forget which pre-amp. Back then it was well out of my league.

Cash being a limiting factor I looked at all the budget options-including sending off for the Affordable Valve Co. catalogue. Some of the claims and customer testimonials seemed to pop up repeatedly throughout and it was a bit of a trawl reading through to be honest. In the end I decided on a WD kel 84 kit with the relay input switching option- I remember being impressed by the description of how quiet this amp was and the fact it was British.

I figured if I took my time and worked carefully having mastered soldering, things would work out fine and I'm pleased to say they did. Apart from a couple of parts missing from the initial delivery which was quickly resolved there were no issues, it powered up with no problems and worked great.

Touchwood, 4 yrs down the line this is still the case,it still gets used and enjoyed regularly. The experience of kit building led me on to scratch building other projects, such is the confidence you gain plus you know that if there were to be any problems with your kit there is a wealth of knowledge from the folks on here.

I don't think you can ask any more from a hobby!
Old 17th March 2012, 09:47 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Dave Ed,

Nice post. Sums it all up exactly.

Greg
Old 18th March 2012, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Yes spot on Dave. A kit is a great way to learn and to end up owning a professionally designed and looking piece of gear without just being a consumer of ready built boxes They also have a benefit over scratch builds in that they sell readily and fetch good money secondhand comparable to better commercial gear.