World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 26th November 2012, 07:52 PM

Default from naim to WD amplifiers

Hello,
I'm a naim pre/power user (NAC52+Supercap & NAP250).
In search of a silky sound, I am wondering whether valve amps could do the trick.
I'd like to get the feedback of any previous naim owner here, who has switched to a WD valve amp...
Many thanks
JC
Old 30th November 2012, 09:49 PM

Default Re: from naim to WD amplifiers

Hi JC,

I had a similar set up to you (only difference was that I only had the 82 with my Supercap) for many years driving SBLs. Great with my LP12 but even a Naim CD2 never cut the digital ice with me and other players were excrutiating.

I have upgraded (to my ears) to WD Phono3 / Homebrew valve pre amp / WD KT88 and won't be going back! Before the KT88 build this summer I was using a WAD K5881 amp to drive my SBLs. That struggled at high volumes but had detail and warmth in abundance. The KT88 has better control, goes lower and keeps almost all the detail. It is not in anyway woolly and has the famed Naim PrAT with a very healthy dose of subtlety and detail. I even get decent images.

Silky isn't the way I'd describe the character, the whole system still boogies, but it never sets the teeth on edge on anything half decently recorded. The same could not be said of the Naim amps with CD.

I now spend much more time with my music collection and if I'm honest spend more time streaming from a media server my Oppo / Rega DAC combination which is excellent value than I do with LP. Do I miss my Naim kit? Not really; I just spend more time listening and that says it all. As an added bonus in this weather the KT88s help keep the cat warm!

Try to hear one if you can, and second hand Naim kit sells well on e bay...

F.