World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 26th January 2013, 06:22 PM

Default Using the digital output on TV

Has anyone used the digital audio output on their TV, just wondering what the sound quality is like? I have a Sony Bravia with digital optical output that I thought I could feed to my DAC, would need to get Toslink cable.

Chris.
Old 26th January 2013, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Using the digital output on TV

Yes all the time. I have 3 optical connections to my AV amp - TV, BD, PVR. Sound quality is as good as I expect it can be and there is a lot of detail in most programmes lost when using the TV's own speakers. (I've never got my head around what digital formats the TV will pass through intact hence not relying on a single feed from the TV.)
Old 26th January 2013, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Chris,
Having been in Broadcast TV for many years, the sound quality transmitted is FM standard plus. We spent years getting quality as high as possible both video and audio, only for it to be thrown away with compression, MPEG, multiplexing etc. (I was doing high definition 20 plus years ago!!) It is all about bandwidth (= money) but at 15Ghz there is lots of bandwidth!
However I now run only Freesat on the tv and other satellite channels on a sat Rx fed from a steerable dish.
The audio from the Tv/Sat Rx is optically coupled to the surround sound amp and is very high quality, and just in case I also tried it via a good DAC into the Hi Fi.
No complaints whatsoever.
Just do it you wont be disappointed, just get a good quality TOSlink cable. The connector/cable does not require gold plating or any fancy crappani on it (it relies on a property called total internal reflection) although a glass core cable would probably/possibly be better but somewhat expensive.

John

Last edited by John Caswell; 26th January 2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 27th January 2013, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

Yep I have my HDTV and the freesat PVR. optical outs feed into my dac as john said just do it

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member

Last edited by colin.hepburn; 27th January 2013 at 02:06 AM. Reason: added Text
Old 28th January 2013, 10:08 PM

Many thanks for your replies...will try to get TOSlink cable very soon and give it a go..

I think with the improvement of picture quality that can now be obtained through HD it makes sense to match that with good quality audio, I notice on YouTube there is more and more music videos in HD and also with Virgin there is music on demand I can only seeing the choice increasing.

Chris.
Old 29th January 2013, 08:37 PM

Chris,

I have both my Panasonic TV and Freesat HD box plumbed via Toslink into my Rega DAC and the results are pretty good as others suggest. I use the Freesat box for radio as well and find the result much better than a DAB radio with Toslink out.

The TV passes through the digital audio from the Freesat box (set for PCM) via HDMI to the Toslink. I find the direct result (Freesat to Rega) preferable - I presume lower jitter but haven't got the fancy kit to prove it. Stuck with the pink things on the side of my head!

F.
Old 31st January 2013, 12:42 PM
Graffiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Caswell View Post
Hi Chris,
We spent years getting quality as high as possible both video and audio, only for it to be thrown away with compression, MPEG, multiplexing etc.
Here's an interesting article about this topic. The sad thing is that technically, we would be able to record, edit, master whatever... the best sound quality ever. But due to music listeners' habits (and maybe other reasons?) we have mp3 mostly which means a minor sound quality. This ranges over to recording as well. So there ist practically no high quality sound recording today.