World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 6th March 2013, 01:22 PM

Default Plan B - WD25Texs into WD25AExs

Well, All being well I shall be trying out my WD25TExs this weekend and already I´m getting indirect hints from SWMBO that they might be a bit large so I´ve been thinking about a Plan B just in case. I know that standmounts on stands take up just as much space but they are a bit easier on the eye, I guess so what if I had to make some new boxes and convert my Ts into As ?
I realise I´d have to adapt my Xovers but much more to the point is thare any reason why I couldn´t fit the 25A´s aperiodic slot into the rear baffle ? as I´m not over keen on having it on the front and I think it would look much better - or even divided up into two slots one on either side panel ?

I´ve still got some Heybrook HBS1 stands from my HB2 days and Peter, somewhere said that they were a good match so it wouldn´t be an all-lose scenario.

Maybe I just like making WD boxes on Saturday afternoons ( the Ts took me a few months to finish ).
Of course I won´t take this decision lightly nor before a couple of months testing - I´m just musing a Plan B.

Last edited by VantheMan; 6th March 2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 6th March 2013, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Plan B - WD25Texs into WD25AExs

Hi Van

As both models are designed to be used very close to the rear wall, I would suggest a rear firing slot wouldn't be such a good idea. I would also suggest you stick with the bigguns (maybe annexed to a box of milk tray and a bunch of flowers). I have them - they're great.

Andy
Old 6th March 2013, 08:01 PM

Ooh Andy , you are easy.

Unfortunately her indoors is an interior designer and thinks a tranny sounds great.
Stll surely say 4-5 inches from the rear wall wouldn´t affect the slot. It´s not as if it were a reflex port and chuffing a gale, is it ?
Old 6th March 2013, 08:33 PM

Small truck!

Maybe your wife would be happy with 4-5 inches - possibly fine for the slot. But not for the speakers. They need to be CLOSE TO THE REAR WALL! Really close.

And seriously would 'er indoors with her fine sensibilties rather look at 18" of nicely finished wood or same of black steel scaffolding? I know which I prefer.

Andy
Old 6th March 2013, 09:39 PM
WD Archivist

Hmmm, Andyman's response is soaked in innuendo but I'm hoping that was completely unintentional

In my view, Andy is right. You need the speakers very close to the wall to benefit from the designed 3dB bass lift Peter intended. Having said that, I did several shows with Peter and often the speakers would be at least 6 inches from the wall.

I have no idea whether side or rear porting would work. Realistically, finding an email link to Peter Comeau and asking him is your best option. Hard but possible in my book.

Obviously your good lady will have her views, but surely a full length box nicely finished is seriously better furniture than a smaller box on girders? I suppose you'll need to persuade
Old 7th March 2013, 12:27 AM

Hi Greg,

I´ll see how it all works out anyway. I´m just glad to have a Plan B just in case. My big mistake was to have been a Totem arro user for a few years. After them everything is oversized.
Roll on Saturday when i finally get to hear them.
Chris