World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 20th March 2013, 11:27 AM

Question Speaker availability

Hi all,
First post here and am looking for some info on DIY speakers. I have looked at a number of posts on this forum and have found that most are of either modifying existing 25Ts or involve driver units that are not available now.So what do I require?, I have spoken to Mathew and am set go WD route with KEL 84 integrated and then KT88 pre and power with phono3 and power supply. For speakers I would like efficient floor standers that would suit both of these amplifiers and am looking for detailed cabinet construction plans ,crossovers, and drivers that are currently available preferably in UK.
I am sure from the vast experience that I have seen and read on this great site that my wish will be fulfilled
Thank you all

pager8 (Geoff)
Old 20th March 2013, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Speaker availability

DIY speakers can be a bit of a mine field. There is such a wide range to choose from and each type has it's proponents.

Personally I use open baffle speakers with a 4" Fostex and 18" bass unit.

I also have a pair of Frugal Horn Mk3 with enabled Fostex FE126 units (4" again) and they are pretty damn good.

http://www.frugal-horn.com/

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 20th March 2013, 01:44 PM

You can still get the drivers for the Wd25s. Falcon Acoustics and Madisound have got the A26RE4 bass driver and depending on which tweeter you decide on of the 3 alternatives, youīll have no problems. The crossover is easy and the plans are here along with forum members always willing to advise.
Old 21st March 2013, 01:07 PM

Post Re: Speaker availability

Vantheman, Thanks for the info on the Seas drivers, you mentioned three tweeter alternatives ,where would I find these? Also could anybody forward me detailed construction plans for the 25Ts and is it possible to Bi Wire/Bi Amp any changes to crossover etc?

Pre65, Could you supply me with details of your Frugels as they look interesting and I am sure that one or other of these designs will be built

Thanks once again

Last edited by pager8; 21st March 2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 21st March 2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pager8 View Post
Pre65, Could you supply me with details of your Frugels as they look interesting and I am sure that one or other of these designs will be built

Thanks once again
There is a link on my original post. Just left click on it with your mouse.

I cheated with mine, because a German chap was selling ready made cabinets in 15mm MDF on e-bay for around Ģ120.00. As my woodwork skills are **** I took advantage of his skills.

Ideally 18mm Baltic birch ply is a better material if you are doing it yourself. Make sure you look for the Mk3 version.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 21st March 2013, 08:20 PM

Hi,
If you send me your email address by PM, I can send you all the guff that both Greg and Edwin so very kindly sent to me over the past year or so where you will find all the details. Itīsīquite a lot so if you donīt get it straight in your head just re-read it all. Itīs quite simple really.

Last edited by VantheMan; 21st March 2013 at 10:12 PM.