World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Other Parts and Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Other Parts and Projects All other WD Parts and Projects

Old 29th November 2012, 06:36 AM

Default Re: speaker cable

i'd suggest 79 strand, or mains cable with 1.25mm+ would be fine for surround speakers,
if you go much above this price point for 30m, it might actually be cheaper to have a separate power amp for rear channels and run long interconnects!
Old 18th December 2012, 10:18 AM

Hi,

In the end I invested in 2 x 15m cat5 cables (red ), one for each rear channel. For rear surrounds they seem to be perfectly adequate and are very neat, doesn't seem to be any overheating issues.

I was able to shorten them both by 2 m so I have some leftovers that I might try on the main speakers to get a better assessment of quality when I get some time.

Regards

Pete
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:32 AM

I decided to try the Ubite 11 using Cat 5 for flexible leads.

Sounds far more detailed and the soundstage is completely stable and much more 3-dimensional compared to the twisted Twins.

But here's the thing - air is the best dialectric - one of only 2 pieces of 'received wisdom' that for me have held good over time.

Problem is that copper and air don't like each other - one oxidising the other to the extreme detriment of copper.

I say this because I always like to take the positive from the negative. Whilst experiencing just how good the French health system is and having an oxygen feed to my nose I realised the tubing was FEP.

It's umistakable because it is much clearer and with a blueish tinge, whereas Teflon has a milky white colour.

At least in France these oxygen feeds have a 3 metre length of a good diameter before the small gauge yoke comes into play. This is perfect for creating an air dialectric speaker cable. Of course it will mean having to use silver/plated copper, preferably OFHC.

1-1.5mm solid core would be ideal especially using 4 x 4 signal/return design.

The good news is that when a patient leaves this wonderful material is discarded - what a waste when this could be used to make some excellent speaker cables.

BTW - FEP is way better than Teflon - forget the theory that says one is better than the other - believe your ears, I always do, since these are the actual conduit I use to listen to music.

Visit your local hospital and see if you can hussle some.