World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Wish List
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wish List Poll your project wishes here

Old 31st December 2005, 12:26 PM

Default Headphone Amplifier

This is another item I kept meaning to buy from WAD but never got round to it. I think someone else mentioned the "Chaz" from Brian Cherry, but I rather think it is a bit of overkill, and cant really see the point of a pair of KT88s and 9W to drive a pair of headphones. I fancied building my own, using the Morgan Jones version of the Earmax that is published on the HeadWize site, but again, if there was a good, sensible kit available, such as the original HD83 or the MJ clone, then count me in. Something compact and fully enclosed (like the old SeriesII kits) using common, cheap valves to drive a pair of HD600s (or similar).
Old 31st December 2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Headphone Amplifier

I'm in the same boat. in fact I was about to order a Headphone kit when things went pear shaped... spent the money now, like, so I'll need to start saving again...
Old 31st December 2005, 04:08 PM
Lord.

If I could, I'd vote YES depending on the complexity/expense.
Old 2nd January 2006, 05:18 PM

It may well have been me on the other(WAD) site...what I'd love to see is either the 300B integrated,fitted with a headphone outlet,or a dedicated 300B/2A3/45 based headphone amp.

The former would undoubtedly be the easiest to do,ala Cary 300B SEi,and I am sure would sound excellent.
Old 25th February 2006, 03:14 PM

In the future I would like to move to a system based around headphones, it would have to be a bit special now I have a taste for hi-end there's no slipping back, ipod stuff is great but after 30 seconds I just want a rest from it, so a nice tube headphone amp would be on my list of future projects, with the possibity of using some silver transformers with them.
If not lets hope that we can have back soon the World Audio Design headphone amp, as that was well liked.

Chris...
Old 25th February 2006, 07:34 PM

Cool Re: Headphone Amplifier

Hi all,
the HD83 when modded is brilliant but the layout is ****( funny this version of excrement is'nt zapped by the built in censor but **** is - irrational). From what NickW tells me it's even worse with the mark11 version, which supposedly looks better but the layout is even worse.

Back to business, if you see an HD83 for sale grab it - then the fun begins. The beauty of the WAD h/amp is there are only 2 caps in the signal path and the valve used, ECL83 is inspired, this is a lovely little valve, which in no way restricts the potential of the signal fed to it and it is available for sensible rather than silly money. The layout of the pot and h/phone jack and wiring should be reversed or rather move the jack assembly to where it belongs which is hard up to the o/put txs but protected by a metal shield to eliminate any potential for interference. The pot can stay in the front but use an extension kit, this way you avoid trailing wires across the PCB.

The earth wiring is stupidly as per KEL34/KIT/KAT88 - simple, instead of trying to solder the earth wires above PCB and risk ruining the caps there, just solder on the other side, why WAD used the method they did is beyond me.

Don't bother spending good money on BGs for PSU caps, use Silmics, they are grossly under-rated. I really like Dynamicaps. Because my h/phones have a broken wire, I am using very cheap Sennheisers so I'm not sure if these need by-passing but would rec. doing this for the PSU caps. Think about changing the diodes for something better and definately shunt the supplied Alps Blue with quality 1% Rs of your choice. When you've done these mods, maybe using your own preferences for caps etc. you will have a h/amp that will make your speakers sound like merde (****).
Old 1st March 2006, 12:59 PM

I'm up for a WD headphone amp - in the WAD brushed steel style

Adrian
Old 24th March 2006, 05:03 PM

I'd be very interested in a good quality headphone amplifier.
Old 30th March 2006, 04:01 AM

Not sure if anyone got the PM i was trying to send

"There seems to have been a problem with the World-Designs Forum database. Please try again..."

anyway you might want to look here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/World-Audio-De...QQcmdZViewItem

this isnt me BTW

Paul
Old 30th March 2006, 11:08 AM

I've already got my eye on this Ebay item! Must say the later casework did look much better though! - There was an article in HFW fairly recently about swaping the old HD83 case for the newer WAD style ones, - this could still be an option if there are any spare cases, in the van load of spares Peter took delivery of!

Mike.