World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 21st January 2014, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Stylus wear

Thanks Greg and Andy. Yes, new DL160 fitted and sounding great again with no mis-tracking or apparent damage from a couple of playings of those inner tracks. In fact background noise now seems lower on all the albums I've tried so I suppose the new stylus may be riding another part of the groove. Had a look at it with a pocket magnifier but nothing obvious or bent so probably just worn out. I appreciate every job will be different but to give us an idea if it would be worth looking into what did Dom do for yours and how much was it please
Old 21st January 2014, 12:04 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Richard,

Sorry, I can't help on prices other than what is published on the website.

http://www.northwestanalogue.com/cartridge-repairs.html

I took my Ortofon KB to him in person and he declared it fit with very little wear. He did not charge me at the time although I did donate to him an old Goldring 800 cartridge which he is known to work magic on.

Also, look on this section of the forum for info and pictures of cartridges he has repaired and satisfied customers.

http://garrardmatters.freeforums.org...idges-f35.html

As said, best to give him a ring. Both he and his partner Natalie are extremely approachable on the phone.
Old 21st January 2014, 07:02 PM

Glad to hear it's sorted Richard.

The general public would think we are mad but we all know how frustrating it is when your HiFi is not working properly.

Phil.
Old 23rd January 2014, 01:26 PM

Greg, is absolutely right. I consider the AT ultrasonic stylus cleaner vital in protection and playback quality, possibly the best accessory I ever bought.

Greg, when my AT33EV needs replacing I will contact northwestanalogue, there is another very good retipper but I forget the name.

Also check out V/E there are some excellent posts by industry pros on that forum that explain with photos the pros and cons.

You can get very stupid with audio, spending lots of money but a quality MC cartridge will show you what you have been missing. There is a very bad tendancy in the UK to work down to a price rather than up to a quality, how much consumer **** can you jettison if you are'nt completely brainwashed to release a lot of wasted money.
Old 23rd January 2014, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Phil, all fine now, a worn stylus seemed the likely problem but it just got me thinking what the symptoms were and what others had found when theirs went.

Hi Stuart, Greg, yes heard good things about that cleaner. To be honest I've always used the small brush which comes with the cart til someone gave me a small carbon fibre type so use that now. I used to use a drop of alcohol before reading about possibilities of weakening the glue but never had any issues. Never fancied the green stuff though I can see the idea. I do keep my records clean though which must help.
Old 23rd January 2014, 05:55 PM

The other stylus expert that I know about is Len Gregory aka "the cartridge man".

http://www.thecartridgeman.com/

You can talk to him on the phone. Been on the scene for years and I imagine will know lots. He made the most recent Hi Fi News test disc as I remember. I have a copy and find it useful when setting up a new cartridge. It's got a nifty alignment protractor in it too, several methods that may be used.
Old 23rd January 2014, 05:59 PM
WD Archivist

Dom also supplies a green putty which can be applied to the stylus to lift off muck. I understand it works very well without causing trauma to the suspension.
Old 16th February 2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
Dom also supplies a green putty which can be applied to the stylus to lift off muck. I understand it works very well without causing trauma to the suspension.
But be careful with it................... I got hamfisted with some and now the ortofon rondo's just gone in its box to be posted to Mr Harper for his magic fingers to work on it.
It was probably only a matter of time before I broke the cantilever.

I've only actually worn one MC cartridge out............... all the rest succumbed to damage in one form or another. Delicate things they are.