World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 28th February 2015, 09:59 PM

Default WD25A or WD25T? Decision time!

Hi All. New member to the site here.
I've been playing around with a couple of DIY designs recently, but have concluded that a well thought through design such as the WD25 twins makes much more sense.

My specific needs have been for a speaker that will sit close to the rear walls without producing a boomy or bloated bass. There are two rooms where they may be sited. Initially they will be in a 4.3 x 4 x 3.2 meter room. However, they may end up in a 4 x 3 x 3.2 meter room. In both cases they will fire down the 4m dimension. As you will guess, there's plenty of scope for the bass to become uncontrolled from the room resonances.

My musical preferences range from classical (especially full orchestral) to classic rock, singer-songwriter, but not jazz.

The big question for me is whether to go for the standmount WD25A or the WD25T (standard tweeter in both cases). I like a balanced sound with a detailed tight & extended bass and also sufficient weight for the orchestral stuff. They will be driven by an EL34 based amp (Icon Audio Stereo 40i).

Advice and guidance will be most appreciated.
Old 1st March 2015, 09:07 AM

Default Re: WD25A or WD25T? Decision time!

Hi Simon, and welcome to our mad world, I hope that you are not thinking of buying new from WD, as they are no longer part of the range. Also all rooms have a frequency that is exited and this can be beneficial or a pain in the ars, I have had many speakers in my time and had a loan of both you mention, I found the bass wanting! and to be honest, both were not for me, however, many on here love them and I will let others comment. The amps. though, are excellent and I now run a WA88 that replaced two Icon Audio MB90's. BOB
Old 1st March 2015, 01:28 PM

Default Re: WD25A or WD25T? Decision time!

Thanks Bob. Yes I'm aware of the kit situation & would source the parts from Falcon Acoustics. I've got some horrible room resonances around the 78hz region. It's the wall placement that's pretty important to me (WAF & all that). This points towards sealed boxes or aperiodic enclosures I think. I should add that I'm not averse to a bit of subwoofwer support: I have an MJ Acoustics 50 I can press into service.