World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 11th March 2015, 08:41 AM

Default WD25T standard version: DCR of L1 and L2 inductors?

Does someone have the DC resistance value of the two inductors on the standard crossover: L1: 0.56 mH, L2: 0.36 mH?

From this article I guess L2 should be quite close to 0.7 ohm, and L2 a bit below 0.25.

I am re-doing my crossovers and would like to know the two resistances to match the R5 resistor (L2) and have low end response (L1)as intended in the original design.

I am using air core inductors on both positions right now, L1 =0.6 mH, DCR=0.24 and L2=0.35, DCR=0.18 (as per specs, I'll measure tomorrow).

Thanks,
S.
Old 11th March 2015, 09:02 AM

Default Re: WD25T standard version: DCR of L1 and L2 inductors?

Regarding L2 i have found what I was looking for: R5+ DCR of L2 should be 1.3-1.4 or even 1.58 (the latter is the change of the stock crossover to r5=0.68, suggested by Peter Comeau if one finds "the lower treble slightly edgy or sharp").
Old 11th March 2015, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Did you mean R6? On a quick reading it seemed the floor stander ended up using the stand mounter xover with the inductors you quote. The WD25 series speaker articles and the designing speakers series are now included in the latest update of the CD from Matthew. I don't know if the exact info you want is included in them but if you don't have the articles it may be worth getting them sales@world-designs.co.uk
Old 13th March 2015, 03:54 AM

Richard,

it's R5 on the V2 crossover (for the standard and XL WD25T versions). The earlier version had the resistor in that position labeled R6. I got a CD long ago from WD along with the foam for my build.

I measured both coils and to my surprise DCR's were 0.8 and 0.7 (I had trusted the specs when buying them and had compensated the parallel resistor accordingly). Now I have modified the crossover with a value that gives 1.44 total (L2+R5), and I prefer the results.

I have to get a new L1, this time ferrite core, to get a DCR closer to spec (0.25 ohm max). L2 was measuring 0.31 mH, which is quite off, if the reading is correct (should be 0.36mH).
Old 13th March 2015, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Hi again,
I'm not sure we're talking about the same CD and xover versions.
Is your CD the build instructions for the speakers, or is it the WD Gold/Platinum supplement and magazine articles that I'm looking at?
The only xover I can see on the Patinum CD which used L1: 0.56 mH, L2: 0.36 mH had L2 with R6. That is in the final July 2006 Part 6 article but I don't have any build instructions so it may have been changed if your CD is the build CD.