World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD Problems For questions and answers re older World Audio Design Projects

Old 29th March 2006, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Pre-II Cath. Foll. wiring query.

Hi Adrian,

I was interested to read your observations. I think a number of us have found that the use of boutique components is not always the answer to "perfect sound" - what they can do is reduce your bank balance! However, on a serious note I read you are using a "Swampy" mains filter. Like many others, I built a couple some time ago and they are now apparent on my system by their absence! Particularly on analogue, they tended to "sit on" the sound - rather as you describe.

Have you tried removing them?

Regards,

John.
Old 30th March 2006, 07:37 AM
WD Archivist

Hi Adrian and John,

John's observation on the Swampy filter jumped out at me immediately I read yor comments. I also tried one but found the same as John and no longer use it. It generally flattens the sound and can make the bass ill-defined and muddy. It would be worth experimenting with it on any digital source alone but I really don't think a Swampy filter is good with valves. I understand the filter can be good on the TV and satellite/cable boxes etc, so doesn't need to be a wasted construction. Please try the system without the filter and let us know how you get on.

On the 3D sound you are looking for, I'd expect you to achieve that with the vinyl system, but it maybe a bit ambitious to hope the 575 (now watching for incoming ) will produce it. I say that as a user of a 575, now relegated to DVD film playing only which, for the price, it does very well.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 1st April 2006, 12:20 PM

John and Greg, you're right about the filter! Not night and day (although I recall people saying on the WAD board that fitting one was indeed night and day for the better) but as my partner said 'it's more alive' without the filter(and she rarely notices any differences after mods).

But, I'm still slightly underwhelmed. It partly depends on recordings. Simple acoustic music sounds great, anything more complicated sounds compressed and/or veiled. A decade or so ago I was very much into Mary Black and bought some of the albums HFW used to sell. I enjoyed them then, but now I find her vocal quite harsh, with a glassy veneer. Not at all as I remember her via a lesser system (LP12, Inca Tech Claymore, SD Acoustic SD3).

Perhaps the Garrard, Rega OL 250, Dynavector DV20L is revealing short-comings in the pressings. Another example is Steve Earle's 'The Other Kind' off 'The Hard Way' LP - a great song but the sound is almost unlistenable. This was recorded digitally, so maybe that explians it.

Anyway, now very much looking forward to the Phono event next week. I think we'll need a Garrard one soon too!

Adrian
Old 2nd April 2006, 08:28 AM

"But I suspect that even after these mods I'll hanker after the WD 300B PP promised for the summer and a pair of either IPL TLs with ribbons or the WD floorstanders which I hope to hear at the phono meeting."

And so begins the CHASE.

Sell the lot, buy an ipod with docking station.
Old 2nd April 2006, 08:36 AM

Obviuosly you need to sell the ol250 and buy a 3ft length of balsa and a ball point pen.

I don't get this madnes that states you can take any speaker add a ribbon and expect it to sound fantastic. Surely speaker design is very complexed?

Maybe there are ribbon tweeters and there are ribbon tweeters?

Now a plasma tweeter? I can talk about that with real enthusiasm. All you need is a plasma tweeter sat on top. (How do I feel I can say that, when I've not heard a plasma tweeter?)

If you find the holy grail before me send me a pm.
Old 2nd April 2006, 08:37 AM

Best thing about an ol250 is there are plenty of folk prepared to buy them off you when you discover the next level.
Old 2nd April 2006, 08:56 AM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IONOVAC-DUKANE...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 3rd April 2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Barker
I don't get this madnes that states you can take any speaker add a ribbon and expect it to sound fantastic. Surely speaker design is very complexed?

Maybe there are ribbon tweeters and there are ribbon tweeters?

Now a plasma tweeter? I can talk about that with real enthusiasm. All you need is a plasma tweeter sat on top. (How do I feel I can say that, when I've not heard a plasma tweeter?)
Neither do i, but ribbon treble units are generally easier to integrate than mc treble units due to their flattish impedance.

There are as many differences between ribbon trebles as there are between other types of unit.

As for plasmas I have yet to see/hear one that doesn't have poor IM distortion. As a result they sound 'different' to any other treble unit, generally being described as 'silky' which is an effect due to the peculiarities of the distortion they introduce. I've seen a website with a DIY plasma for those who want to try them.

Now can we get back on topic? (I'll move any messages regarding plasmas and ribbons to a new thread, or start one yourself.)

Last edited by petercom; 3rd April 2006 at 02:39 PM.
Old 3rd April 2006, 02:33 PM

Hi Adrian,
I found your comments very interesting. In my case I had tried the PreII in it's original form but couldn't get rid of the hum, si I went back to my passive pre amp based on the Goldpoint design and using their switches.
When I changed the PreII to CF I found there was more umph ( I find it difficult to put sound changes into words) particularly in the mid and bass areas, If there was any loss of detail I haven't noticed it. I did transfer the Goldpoint attenuator over from the passive to the CF PreII.
Now I have sorted out the problems in one of my 300B PSE monoblocks I am very, very happy with the sound. The only change I am now contemplating is changing the **** BR1 to STTA512D diodes. By the way I have ProAc Response 2.5s speakers and amodified Tube Technology phono stage.
Martin
Old 3rd April 2006, 03:30 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Martin,

Your experience with CF Pre II is exactly what I'd expect from my own experiences. I tend to regard it as more sparkle and life to the sound. I'm sure we can help Adrian to get there eventually.

Best wishes,

Greg