World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 11th February 2016, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Garrard 401

Oh well I suppose you have to try these things Bob . Like Col I have a TD160 Super in the system at the mo and a TD160S MkV awaiting an arm and cart. Actually it's been waiting 5 years not to worry. Any suggestions for a good(ish) arm for it? There's a Mayware formula 4 on the other deck so something different for a change, and a slightly lively cart, without breaking the bank?
Old 11th February 2016, 09:12 PM

Hi Richard, I love SME arm's, but the best are pricey. BOB
Old 11th February 2016, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Which one Bob? There's a long story to that deck as I've already tried a Rega and a Jelco 750 on it which were too long (mounting point) and in the case of the Jelco beautifully built but too heavy for the suspension. I've had the old fixed head SME3009 in the past (with a V15 on a Linn in fact it was that long ago) and it was popular on the TD160 so perhaps that with a reasonable mm cart, or is a newer SME still ok on a suspended tt?
Old 12th February 2016, 09:01 AM

Richard, I use a 309 on my Linn, heavy, but not as heavy as the Linn Ekos, it took some time to get the suspension correct, but it is fab., I would like to try a 4 or even 5, but the 309 is the only one of the three with a detachable head shell, this is handy because of the number of times I cock up cartridges . I have a 3009 that was on the 401, you are welcome to try it on your 160, but I would like it back, I too are looking for a Thorens 160 to put the 3009 on .BOB
Old 12th February 2016, 10:07 PM

Don't throw it away Bob............ It'll fetch a tidy sum on eBay. You already know this i guess.
Now I don't know what you tried with your 401 and I have heard a couple of very tasty ones that didnt rumble in the slightest so it can be done.

Now without going back through the posts, did you strip the motor bearings out, all of them, and clean and lube them? Apparently a lot of so called refurbs and servicing omit this and it can be a source of noise which you'll never get rid of no matter how much you fiddle with platter bearings and idler wheels. I believe its the bottom bearing that gets neglected cos its a bugger to get at.

I have to say that a good 401 is an object of desire for me, wish i'd bought the one my mate offered to me a few years ago for £200. That would be just the start of it though.

Until then I'll have to make do with the GyroSE with DC motor.

Andy.
Old 12th February 2016, 10:22 PM

Ah reading back i see you have stripped the motor down and rebuilt it.

Sorry.

Andy.
Old 12th February 2016, 11:32 PM
WD Archivist

Yes, going on from what Andy has said, as you know, I use a 401 and have never had the problems you have recorded here and mine is self serviced which included a full motor strip down. Furthermore I have several friends who use them and like me, they don't suffer your problems.

Just to get realistic, a 401 is a 60/70's production of a mechanical drive TT. To the naked ear, the TT itself will never be as silent as any belt drive, including your beloved LP12. However, in my experience, any noise heard directly from the TT, and mine just whispers, is not transposed to the speakers. That is probably one of the reasons why there is such a strong following for these old machines, not to mention the overall benefit of detail, speed, attack and slam through a well set up system. Certainly they were over engineered originally (a good thing) and also didn't work well when lightly supported, which revealed rumble, which was the criticism in the day, but subsequently we have established that when bolted firmly to a high density plinth, for example, made of slate, this problem is overcome.

Dominic Harper of Northwest Anologue (yep, I recall your bad experience on his forum, but I would advise you to ignor that) states, 'a well fettled 401 is a TT for life'. I am inclined to agree and certainly I have no intention of changing, bearing (no pun intended) in mind I have previously owned a Michell Orbe.

I think you have four options.
1. Bury it in the garden.
2. Sell it on eBay
3. Keep working on it until you get it right.
4. Send it to a knowledgeable repairer/restorer like Dominic (he is about 170 miles from you). http://www.northwestanalogue.com Of course, there are others, but I doubt they'll provide better service.

The main reason for my post is that you are in love with your LP12, and I don't knock that one iota, but I have owned four TT's since I last had an upgraded LP12 and to my ears, every one was an step up over the Linn.

Something to think about..............

Last edited by Greg.; 12th February 2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 13th February 2016, 12:14 AM

It was Doms 401 i heard most recently Greg.
Very impressive in a slate plinth. But they dont come cheap.
I wont get mired in the LP12 vs other designs arguments as no one wins.

I know I prefer my GyroSE with a tweaked up rega RB600 to an LP12 with LVIII arm and lingo psu.

Its a matter of taste I think.

A.
Old 14th February 2016, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
Richard, I use a 309 on my Linn, heavy, but not as heavy as the Linn Ekos, it took some time to get the suspension correct, but it is fab., I would like to try a 4 or even 5, but the 309 is the only one of the three with a detachable head shell, this is handy because of the number of times I cock up cartridges . I have a 3009 that was on the 401, you are welcome to try it on your 160, but I would like it back, I too are looking for a Thorens 160 to put the 3009 on .BOB
Hi Bob,
Many thanks for the kind offer. Thinking some more I think I'll sell the deck so if you still fancy one drop me a pm and we can sort a good price. If not I'll pop it in the for sale section. It's the late model TD160S MkV near mint, black plinth, perfect sprung hinge dust cover, 18V ac adaptor etc
Old 15th February 2016, 09:01 AM

Thank's Richard.