World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 30th July 2016, 12:06 PM

Default KEF 102.2 Foam surround replacement.

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a company who can replace the rotted foam surrounds on a pair of B160 SP1312 4ohm internal bass drivers from a pair of KEF 102.2 reference (SP3165) speakers ?

I`ve tried contacting the 3 best known speaker repairers via phone and Email with no answer or response (DC Boulton, Wembley and Audioloudspeakers). I did get a response from a company in Surrey who quoted £120 plus VAT per driver !!!

The drivers themselves are fine it`s only the foam surrounds that require replacement. Has anyone used the refoaming kits available from "Simply speakers" in the US ? I`m tempted to give one a try but correct alignment of the cone without the use of shims concerns me.

I could always install a pair of new drivers but I`m finding it difficult to locate the correct physical size and specifications in a 4 ohm option - anyone know of a suitable pair of replacements ?

Many thanks, David.

P.S Also looking for a replacement mains transformer for a Quad 303 if anyone can help ?
Old 31st July 2016, 11:38 AM

Default Re: KEF 102.2 Foam surround replacement.

Hi David,
I am just finishing re-foaming the surrounds on a pair of Bose 901s that I used to own and have re-inherited, due to perished surrounds.
Out of 10 drivers (18 in all!) so far I have only one that I will have to re-do.
I too bought the foam kit from the USA but can't recall the company.
The job itself is not especially hard if you have the patience to do it carefully.
I learned that the choice of glue is important as the setting time needs to be not to fast or too slow. I used Aleene's Tacky glue on recommendation. Available from good craft shops or E bay.
Have a look for Bose 901 repair on you tube, some good videos on how to do it yourself.
also a handy tip, to centre the voice coil is to part fill a 2litre pop bottle and place centrally over the cone until the glue dries.
Have a go! I had nothing to lose anyway.