World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Other Parts and Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Other Parts and Projects All other WD Parts and Projects

Old 21st July 2016, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: WD SUT's

Hi Bob, ah, sorry, I didn't realise the brightness is just on vinyl and that your digital is fine. That's still a mystery then and would never occur to me as mine's the other way around with vinyl being a bit warm.

Mine depends on recording though. Older transfers to CD from the late 80's and 90's seem much more in agreement with the vinyl and sometimes difficult to separate when casually listening (thinking Tracy Chapman, Joni Mitchel, Al Stewart etc here). Newer CDs and "remastered" CDs from the last 10 years or so seem to be more dynamic and recorded at a higher level, such as Kill to get Crimson where I bought both, and new CDs where I definitely have to turn the volume down a notch or two after playing older recordings.

I doubt there's much wrong with your ears as you're clearly hearing relative differences and if your records are worn I'd expect them to sound less bright and have surface noise.
Old 7th August 2016, 07:33 AM

Thank's to Richard, a couple of week's ago he lent me his Lundahl LL9206 SUT to try, he said to me that they sounded bland in his system after trying them some time ago, after prolonged listening and playing most of my albums that gave me problems of harsh treble it is now clear that the Lundahl is better suited to my bright system, in fact the whole sound stage is far more to my liking, it is not perfect, but this may be that some of my records are damaged or just badly recorded, in comparison to the WD transformers, the Lundahl are much cleaner in the HF,s, it is also interesting that Ortofon use Lundahl in their SUT, as I am using a Ortofon cartridge, so, now I need to buy some new SUT's. Thank you Richard. BOB
Old 18th August 2016, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Morning Bob, all,
I'm very pleased these work for you Bob. When I found them bland it was in the non-characterful sense. I only used them once, with a Denon 304 iirc, and returned the cart (I had a return option on it) as the whole sound was somewhat lacking but it may well have been the cart and other items in the system which didn't gel well. Glad they work well with the Ortofon
In case he's reading I should mention that our good friend John Caswell gave them to me (thank you John!) so I have now passed them on to you for the same cost (nowt )
Old 18th August 2016, 02:56 PM

A big thank you to Richard for his generosity, and not forgetting John, these transformers suite my set up very nicely, and I am hearing small detail that has previously been masked. Thanks to both. BOB
Old 10th January 2017, 04:49 PM

Just an update on my Phono, may be of interest to other Phono II or III owners, I have now fitted the Lundahl 9202 SUT's to a PCB from K&K Audio in the USA, into my Phono so as to have less plug in connections, all is fine, I then changed the 180k resistors for 165k as in the FAQ, I am using ECC83 tubes, had a good long session last night and this morning, the sound is now much better, the way I would describe the improvement is that before with the 180k resistors fitted, the HF's were not in focus, and now they are. BOB
Old 27th January 2017, 12:06 PM

A couple of pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0409.jpg (144.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0410.jpg (105.1 KB, 54 views)
Old 27th January 2017, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Oh very neat, way to go Bob