World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 20th December 2007, 07:40 PM
RoryC

Default Heybrook HB1: HF/ cab mods?

Hi there and Happy Christmas from a newbie.

I have always gone back to my Heybrook HB1s (mk 3 I think, with better tweeter) for sheer musical enjoyment, from lord knows how many others. I honestly think for '£200' speakers never have they been beaten; they are of course a tad brash and HF detail is compromised a bit..

My question is: is it possible to replace the tweeter with something like a smoother/ better Morel, or a stonker of an HF unit like a ribbon for eg? I realise its unlikely one will drop in so

A) is it possible
B) what could go in, &

C) is it worth adding general structural whatnots inside the cabs for improved baffle/ cab rigidity?

Thanks for any ideas, RoryC.
Old 20th December 2007, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Heybrook HB1: HF/ cab mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryC View Post
Hi there and Happy Christmas from a newbie.

I have always gone back to my Heybrook HB1s (mk 3 I think, with better tweeter) for sheer musical enjoyment, from lord knows how many others. I honestly think for '£200' speakers never have they been beaten; they are of course a tad brash and HF detail is compromised a bit..

My question is: is it possible to replace the tweeter with something like a smoother/ better Morel, or a stonker of an HF unit like a ribbon for eg? I realise its unlikely one will drop in so

A) is it possible
B) what could go in, &

C) is it worth adding general structural whatnots inside the cabs for improved baffle/ cab rigidity?

Thanks for any ideas, RoryC.
Ask Petercom about Seas tweeters to marry to your Seas Bass driver. Maybe they have something that would work with little modification?

http://speaker-parts.worldomain.net/

I wouldn't spend too much, otherwise you could get the WD25 kit (build cab's yourself) or even the WD18 kit for a wholesale improvement I suspect.
HB1's still a cracking little box, if a little crude.
Old 21st December 2007, 04:13 PM

Crude? What do you mean, crude? Basic, yes, but that was the cunning part of the design to keep it low cost.
Without considerable experimentation I'm not sure whether a new treble unit would suit the crossover.
The problem will be keeping that magical midrange intact.
I wouldn't touch the cabinet. The way it is is part of the overall character of the speaker.
Old 21st December 2007, 05:47 PM
RoryC

Thanks for the replies. So best leave them be eh.. I wouldn't want to bugger them up- the idea of a Morel and the vifa LF on paper seemed a magic idea..!

Crude doesn't do them justice, with a naim 140 'certainly not shy' is a better term, & with a smooth amp Im sure a perfect balance.

So I have been recommended the WD25 (A iirc) as the obvious replacement speaker; alas I cant afford yet, but how would it compare to the HB1 mk3? are there any similarities sonically? the cabs are similar sized which I like for a start.

cheers
Old 22nd December 2007, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercom View Post
Crude? What do you mean, crude? Basic, yes, but that was the cunning part of the design to keep it low cost.
Without considerable experimentation I'm not sure whether a new treble unit would suit the crossover.
The problem will be keeping that magical midrange intact.
I wouldn't touch the cabinet. The way it is is part of the overall character of the speaker.
Peter,
I did not mean to offend.

The treble could occasionally be a little rough, though I was using bright solid state at the time. The mid was (and still is) lovely.

Only crude by absolute standards, or by comparison with your own WD25. By budget speaker standards it was damn near peerless IMH(ok arrogant)O.
I dont consider it a budget speaker, just an affordable high quality design.

I would leave the cab's alone too.

The bass character was light but open and quicksilver with the occasional well controlled box bloom. Highly damped the speaker would probably sound weak and feeble.

It is one of my all time favourite speakers!
Old 11th April 2017, 12:31 PM

Hi,
I am very late coming to this forum, but I have just acquired a pair of HB1 speakers...in urgent need of TLC.
The foam has gone, so it will be replaced. The crossover may have been modified. The resistor in my crossover is 15 Ohms. All the publications that I have seen show an 18 Ohm resistor being used
So, has someone been fiddling or was a 15 Ohm resistor a legitimate piece of the original?
The serial number of (one of) my units is 011053.

Thanks for the help

George
Old 11th April 2017, 01:15 PM
WD Archivist

George, it doesn't matter. It's what you hear and what your preference is that counts. As Colin and I suggested in your duplicate thread, try both and use the one that is best for you. There are many variables affecting sound, the crossover being just one. Your room for example, will also bring it's own influence. It really is as simple as that.
Old 11th April 2017, 03:36 PM

Well, I might just as well duplicate my comment, speakers have move on a lot since the HB1 was made, for the record, I have just changed my Monitor Audio PL100's for the PL100 II's, what an improvement, BOB