Old 30th January 2018, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Another set of secondhand speakers

Andy,
good idea.
Old 25th February 2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart View Post

Roofing - tiles and slate should be history - metal sheeting wins hands down. The only thing I havn't had actual experience with is metal roofing panels but seeing it done, they are a doddle.
Metal roofing panels are truly excellent. They can prove a little noisy in heavy rain - which doesn't worry me as I was brought up under corrugated iron - but adequate sound attenuation can eliminate this nuisance. With modern protective coatings, they effectively are maintenance-free and are easily fitted to a conventional roof structure. I had them when living in the States where they are known as "Volumex" and would love to have them here in replacement of the existing heavy, fragile and moss-gathering concrete tiles of a stone age technology.
Old 5th March 2018, 01:39 PM

Baggy Trousers - spot on but the 'Inertia Effect' has total control of most people. I can't understand why so many use out of date, inferior materials to build with and it's Europe and USA wide.

DYK that the metal roofing panels can be had with from 20mm insulation bonded on up to 150mm +. With 20mm you will not hear the noise of heavy rain.

Here in France as in Spain internal walls are a joke and there is no such thing as party walls, not pleasant when your lounge is next to another apartment's bathroom/toilet and you can hear everything. That internal walls in the UK are still being built with wooden stud and plasterboard is abysmal.

That in the audio world the 'inertia effect' is still so strong is sad - like passive cooling, totally ineffective when active cooling is so easy and cost effective. I'm waiting to see if a Massdrop of the Dark Voice 336SE goes ahead. This is an OTL h/amp, usefully it has side panels with perforations, which means I can sit it on a slate box (no bottom or back panel) use a PC fan underneath to push the hot air out. This will greatly reduce the internal temp. of the unit and should greatly increase the life of caps and resistors and mean an improved sound as well.