World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 17th March 2018, 06:30 PM

Question High sensitivity please

Hi all,

I welcome your collective advice on my issue please:

I currently have some Oris horns with AER drivers that have over 100dB sensitivity and I drive them with 8 watts of power.

These are big and don't have living room looks, they are not big as in BIB speakers but big as in "they are not coming with us" (house move, downsizing).

So what can I replace them with that can be driven easily with 8 Watts and have some living room appeal?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 17th March 2018, 08:34 PM

Default Re: High sensitivity please

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300BG View Post
I currently have some Oris horns with AER drivers that have over 100dB sensitivity and I drive them with 8 watts of power........

So what can I replace them with that can be driven easily with 8 Watts and have some living room appeal?
Gadzooks!

LS3/a's or Frugal Horn3, I'll do you a swap, no need to thank me!
Old 17th March 2018, 11:57 PM
WD Archivist

Brian,

You’ll need to be more specific with what you would happily use, such as minimum sensitivity and how much you would be prepared to compromise bass performance because after all, this aspect very much controls the sizes of your speakers. We can’t defeat the rules of science unless of course you go with something like Devialet Phantom speakers which is a completely different concept. Certainly with Devialet you get small stand mounts with very deep bass.

Respect to Mr Bass, but I would not be looking at LS3 or 5’s. Very much a flawed BBC design IMHO. Frugal horns are great for tops and midrange and although they claim low frequency output, for sure that output is not musical. It is typically almost one note presentation. Again, IMHO, but I’ve listened to enough builds of these type speakers to arrive at this conclusion. In fact, IMHO, all passive speaker designs that concentrate on small drivers and slim cabinets to meet WAF in general are completely flawed in design because they just don’t sound right, and particularly can’t do prper bass.

You are probably already in compromise mode, looking for something between 89 and 91dB easy drive sensitivity. There are loads of designs in this region available from WD. Buy the Platinum Disc from WD for loads of original WAD speaker designs within that target region.

There are loads of other designs available. IPL Acoustics comes immediately to mind. http://iplacoustics.co.uk but look out for other options because they are out there. Many speaker drive unit manufacturers offer build yourself cabinet design options. SEAS is typical on this. Have a look at their website.

Really hope you can find a solution that meets your need.

Last edited by Greg.; 18th March 2018 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Update
Old 18th March 2018, 10:36 AM

Although I can agree with what Greg is saying, there is no one speaker that will suit all rooms and systems, what Greg likes, you Brian may hate, I love my set up, but my cycling friend always comments that it sound harsh, with this in mind, again, it is your decision as to what speaker to chose, with only 8 watts, I feel 90 dB is as low sensitivity to go for. BOB
Old 18th March 2018, 02:23 PM

Thumbs up Re: High sensitivity please

Thanks all,

I must admit I have been using my KLS10s, although the tweeters look a bit underinflated, it does hold up well with only 8 watts but placed 1m from the room walls, it doesn't go too low.

The quest begins, i had hoped that "quests" were over and I could just relax and enjoy but the price of moving throws it up in the air again.

I guess I should be excited "but it's a minefield" so much money thrown down the proverbial searching for that chalice.

Brian