World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 31st May 2018, 12:54 PM

Default Anyone ever tried his WD25T on stands ?

I am thinking of digging out my old Mana Sound Bases for use with my WD25TEx. Why ? Firstly I have just learned that Yamaha 1000s were considered bookshelf/standmounts back in the day and secondly I never got round to building plinths for them, just fitting spikes into the boxes themselves. I know that raising speakers often affects presentation. Did Peter ever say anything about this ?
As they stand I have no bass boom or anything like that but as I have said many times vocalists are 4 foot midgets in my room.
Old 4th June 2018, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Anyone ever tried his WD25T on stands ?

When Peter demonstrated these speakers to me at his premises they were just on the floor with very little toe in.

My speakers, with ready made cabinets, just have a slightly larger 'foot' added for stability with spike nuts.

I don't use spikes as they are on a solid vinyl floor and would damage it so I use dense fabric pads. My speakers are in a small room tucked right into the corners and rear wall with about a 15 degree toe in.

I never noticed a small stage until you mentioned it and its not something I notice unless I think about it and even then I can't say I hear what you describe - are you sure your not just convincing yourself its there ?

Why not try just raising the front of each speaker using the spike height adjustment to see if that makes any difference.

Mel
Old 4th June 2018, 05:14 PM

Hello,

Different speakers but I recently experimented with this. I have Tannoy Cheviot's that are a not very tall floor stander. I have read here and there that some people recommend having them on stands. As they are, the treble drivers are about 200mm below ear level. I got some bricks in from the garden to raise them up and had a listen. I have to say that I preferred the presentation with them higher up. It seemed more natural to have the sound coming toward you, rather than up and toward. I have done nothing yet but I do plan to make some low stands at some point to try it properly.

Phil.
Old 5th June 2018, 03:03 PM

Nice one Phil Y. I still need to dig out one of mu sound bases but I have tried a pair of thickish House and Garden type glossies under my front spikes and the improvement is manifest with my slightly lower than normal WD25T. As they stand without the mags The tweeters are around 93cms from the floor so the lean back is quite pronounced with the mags in place. I need to take my time over the best solution
Old 6th June 2018, 12:13 PM

I believe "Yorkshire Life" has a better coefficient of glossiness than most glossies, worth a try ?

And also, a piece of plain A4 (printing paper will do) inserted between every 10th page can help.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 6th June 2018, 10:56 PM

No Yorkshire Post over here, I’m sorry to say. I mentioned glossies as an indicator of height.. I should have said “tha’ must tilt the bloody things back a bit if yer want a better impression of height Midget floorstanders = midget imaging
Old 27th June 2018, 01:46 PM

Hello Vantheman,

Just finished these, only had a quick listen so no judgement other than it certainly sounds different to before. They cost less than £30 to make so no great risk. If I end up not liking them, I have some kindling for next winter !

Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180627_082859.jpg (117.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 29th June 2018, 12:00 PM

Hi Phil, They look nice. Let us know your impressions on sound.
I took another tack ´cos I suspect the missus wouldn´t be too pleased with conspicuously taller speakers (my mistake was starting off years ago with Totem Arros - cute and unimposing so anything else is a source of contention)
So I thought about some wooden feet which allowed a slight inclination on the boxes to compensate a bit. Cutting 20 circular pieces out of spare blocks left over from my oak herringbone parquet flooring and then drilling out a smaller centre circle on 8 of them to accomodate dimpled brass disc inserts for my spikes to centre on rather like overgrown cotton reels or egg cups. The back pairs are 2 layers stuck together and the front pairs are 3 layers high so I´ll get a better angle on it all (ouch).
The imaging certainly seems to have been lifted but I´ll have a better listen this weekend. I suspect the ratio of 3 layers at the front and 2 at the back is a bit too much ( the boxes lean back quite alarmingly to my unaccustomed eyes) but I can adjust that by inserting the brass disks more deeply on the front feet.
Stll need to varnish them but you get the idea. More photos to follow if and when. I also have some flat teflon buttons which I could stick underneath to allow sliding forward if necessary.

smallspeakerfeet.jpg

Last edited by VantheMan; 29th June 2018 at 07:54 PM.