Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 5th July 2018, 01:15 AM
WD Archivist

Default Re: stereo imaging nightmare help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
What happens if you swap the speaker leads over at the amp? If the problem is anything to do with the amp or source, the image should move towards the other speaker. If I’d doesn’t, then it’s the speakers or the room. If you then swap the leads back and swap the speakers themselves, that will tell you if it’s the speakers or the room causing the problem.
Indeed, and if all these tests fail, sorry mate, it’s going to be all about the capability of your ears

Having said that and if you do indeed identify your ears as the problem, as you have before used a balancing pot, you can do it again to satisfy your need for balanced listening. All is not lost!
Old 5th July 2018, 06:21 AM

A bit off topic, but, went to my doctor 12 day's ago about my hearing, had a hospital appointment yesterday to test my ear's, tomorrow, (Friday) I am having two NH digital hearing aids, I suppose nobody want's to wear these thing's, but if they work ?, well, I will let you all know. BOB
Old 5th July 2018, 12:24 PM

Hi Bob

They should help restore your musical enjoyment. I had given up on listening to music before I had my NHS digital hearing aids. Since then my love of listening and HiFi has been restored to the point where I’ve bought a WD amp and WD speakers, and a new CD player as well. The enjoyment is back. Hope your aids are equally beneficial.

It may take a while to get used to the changes so don’t be too hasty in judgement of them.

All the best

Frank
Old 5th July 2018, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
What happens if you swap the speaker leads over at the amp? If the problem is anything to do with the amp or source, the image should move towards the other speaker. If I’d doesn’t, then it’s the speakers or the room. If you then swap the leads back and swap the speakers themselves, that will tell you if it’s the speakers or the room causing the problem.
Yes hope I all goes well for you bob
Don’t let the high end audiophiles get wind of this they will start manufacturing the hearing adds as audio tweaks so we can keep enjoying out music and drive the cost up
Good luck bob

Anyway back to the case in point
OOPs a big schoolboy error here thanks to Shane’s post on swapping the speaker leads a cross at the amp

When I did this everything came right so what did I do wrong here well first up is my speaker leads are under the carpet and stuff on top of that, the cables were marked with the colour I.D but had faded away

Not aware of this one evening last Week after rewiring and installing the WAD phono 2 stage into a DIY case. It works great I then proceeded to check the set up using my Hi Fi News test Record

And discovered I had the PU wired up in reverse so just swapped the phones over there id colour is also faded away too. Or it maybe I have wired up the phono2 channels in reverse so swapping the phono Pu leads and playing the test left/right id again and it was correct way round now but still have vocal pulling to the right

And last night after reading Shanes post I swapped the speaker leads over at the amp expecting to hear what he said in his post but instead to my delight it all snapped back into the correct balanced image again

Well just shows how cable id is important to check
My thanks the Shane for that wakeup call
More to come on this subject later

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 5th July 2018, 03:45 PM

I've just bought some secondhand cables and noticed about 15cm from the terminal end that they are nearly burnt through, 4mm thick..lucky the sleeve is transparent to be able to spot.. how that happened I can only guess? I don't think the seller noticed it as here was selling everything, completely emptying his apartment his speakers were in the £10k bracket.

Chris.
Old 5th July 2018, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the comments Frank / Colin, I will keep you posted. BOB
Old 6th July 2018, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Hi All again
Well after my stupid school boy error with the wiring
Last night I had a listening session with all my formats Records /CD/DVD
All was good no image pulling to the right now so happy about that the sound with the JE.Labs single ended KT66 is an excellent sounding amp in its basic stock build I have spent some time on this amp improving the components and the power supply and learning more about building single ended

So what I have With this amp and the Mordaunt-Short MS 8121s on 24” sand filled Atacama stands the imaging is fixed behind the speakers and as wide as the room and wider on some music so 15ft plus

However here’s the thing the image seems a bit big and high up the wall
Example on some CDs the drums/piano is massive like across the entire 15ft sound stage while on DVDs most of it is to scale I am aware some of this maybe down to the production process

Other probable’s are the
The room layout firing across the room same as in the diagram in post #1 but with the right speaker move in more from side wall and both towed in
And as the tweeters are about 6” to high on the Atacama stands I think maybe the MS 812s would work better on say 18” stands and angled back a bit
You would really need to hear the system to advice on this but hope you can come up with a suggestion or two

PS. here’s an image of the JE labs amp it does have the end cheeks just have to make covers for the transformer and chokes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JE Labs KT66.jpg (131.0 KB, 16 views)

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s

Last edited by colin.hepburn; 6th July 2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 8th July 2018, 11:29 AM

Wahey! Glad it helped!
Old 8th July 2018, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Wahey! Glad it helped!
Yes Thanks for the pointers Shane Big improvements’
I am going to start thinking out a plane to turn it all threw 90 deg. as Greg advised but can’t do it right now but can look into what I need like deflectors and absorbers for the room one advantage I have is no WAF problems to deal with