World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD General For discussions re World Audio Design

Old 18th February 2019, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Where to from here...?

As there is a huge vinyl revival how anbout something that WAD should have done a long time ago - a battery powered phono stage.

On another thread I mention that I bought a Pickering 7500S (stereohydron stylus) cartridge and dedicated PLZ battery powered phono stage from our old friend Ian.

This was made by QED - it features what I think is a silver traced PCB and very nice it is too. Powered by 2 x AA batteries. The resistors all measure well in spec - 5 and 6 band. all the electrolytic caps will be replaced, sensibel after more than 40 years. It also features a trimpot (Piher) and some dubious regs. (for another thread)

The point is that this is small, neat, if copper pins were used so that different MCs could be catered for re. resistor changes. Yes and forget the ugly little black boxes. Use quality RCAs/caps and resistors - built up to a standard and not down to a price.
Old 21st February 2019, 10:02 AM

Wow - have not been on here for a while, I almost forgot all about WAD and purchased an ICON EL84 amp!! (Mostly because I was looking for a small valve amp for my study, that along with hibernating my WAD KT88 amp due to house renovations, WAD had slipped my mind)

But I found you again and have been in contact with Matthew and purchased a KEL84 which has arrived and I still don't have a study to put it in! But, wow, even through the plastic bags everything looks amazing, the volume control knob is fantastic - so pleased with just the bits right now.

I think though that getting valves into the mainstream is hard, you have to be a bit of a geek to own a valve amp. Most folk these days only drool over space sensing automatic gear changing cars, curved edged phones and clothes, along with instant gratification shopping and cafe's. Anything with technical interest is enjoyed by the minority.

Even the vinyl revival is only enjoyed by folk who enjoy the experience of the media but don't really have a thought about getting the best quality out of that media through thoughtful consideration of what it will be played on.

With that in mind and producing a product that could win you back the "there's an app for that" generation, if you produced a valve product based around a plug and play design, such as, Bluetooth connectivity to connect via a phone or tablet, connect to network attached storage to play back a library of music and connect to streaming services plus phono connectivity - an all in one package, then you'd be onto a winner - plus advertise in Hifi world, don't think I've seen WAD in there??

Just a thought - from someone who has kids who thinks valves are cool but inconvenient.

Anyho... good to see this is still going and even better to be able to keep to the WAD brand, I nearly bought an icon amp!!!!! ahhhhhhh
Old 21st February 2019, 03:23 PM

And what is wrong with the new fabulous very high tech power shift automatics ?, I have just purchased two new cars both with this transmission, I would never want to have another manual, . BOB
Old 21st February 2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
And what is wrong with the new fabulous very high tech power shift automatics ?, I have just purchased two new cars both with this transmission, I would never want to have another manual, . BOB
Me too.
The wifes SEAT Alhambra diesel has one of the VW group DSG 6 speed auto boxes. And the Skoda we had previously had a 7 speed version. Completely seamless smooth power transfer and a complete contrast to the clunky and jerky (and fragile) by comparison Ford Durashift system on my ancient Fusion. I'll be sorry when we have to return the SEAT in a years time. We have lease cars, couldnt afford to buy one new!

Ok thats OT bob! I doubt Matthew will be offering Thermionic Valve engine and transmission management system conversions!
Old 21st February 2019, 06:29 PM

What! ? ....eh ? really ? I think I'm on the wrong forum, what's been happening here over the years! Come on.... valves, vinyl, tape, film camera's, unix, push rods, tappets, ineffeciency, the smell of oil.... youve all gone soft

Only joking, (apart from automatics)

Adam
Old 21st February 2019, 09:28 PM

You could be right about going soft Adam, be seriously, what do you find offensive with automatics, especially the 6 speed power shift that gives the same or better flue consumption than a manual and you only have a go and a stop pedal, the entire transmission being controlled by a computer that responds to all road conditions and driver input . BOB
Old 22nd February 2019, 10:38 AM

Hi Bob,
I don't find automatics offensive, and hope it's not come across that way - I worry about losing the plot. Living in a world of automation and the general insistence on keeping the technical stuff hidden behind an automated process, button, or drive stick does not offend me at all, it just worries me.

My son has just leased a VW turbo something that has everything apart from a 3rd pedal, here we go..... when I was his age, I had to climb through the drivers door window because the door jammed in the winter which meant remembering to leave the window down a bit so I could get a chance of lowing it in the mornings before work, then not flood the engine with the choke which would have meant getting out again, taking out the spark plugs, heating them up with a lighter, replace - try again - but wherever I went if I broke down I knew I had a change of working it out and fixing it. (Triumph Toledo)

I worry, most likely needlessly, that we could lose touch with the knowledge we used back in the day due to everything being covered in a nice plastic cover, controlled by a closed source control unit - if it were not the case then we'd be seeing kit valve amps in every living room

Anyhow, my finger nails are broken trying to push those pins in the cct board of the KEL84 !

Cheers

Adam
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:53 PM

Try pushing them in with a hot iron, . Bob