World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 8th July 2020, 03:10 PM

Default Nas Drive problems.

I bought a Qnad Nas drive, I thought it would be simple plug and play. First the box was empty of any hard drives, so then I had to buy some Western Digital WD Red NAS SATA HDD 4TB 3.5", I bought 3 of these thinking that the first bay I could put in an SSD drive, SSD arrived wrong type, so have ordered another one, also had to buy some tiny screws to fix them to the caddy.
I connected it to the Virgin internet box with an ethernet cable, the Qnad makes a noise like it's connected to a life-support machine when it's booting up. After an hour I managed to see the device on my laptop and linked it to the internet with the downloaded software, it needed a password and user id before it would format the hd drives. Another hour I find there a small hole at the back that re-sets for new user, mean while the Qnad is starting to update it's software. I managed to create user and password, the device displays the new user name I create but is not happy with the password, re-set a few more times, create new user and id, still not happening.
Will give it another try this week, watch a few youtube vid's, if no luck it will be sold.

Chris
Old 1st August 2020, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Nas Drive problems.

Nas now sold, took up too much space and time. It was the size of a small micro oven and could hold 24tb, just too much on to give over time to it, I would like to have tried out playing stored films to 4k tv. Not possible without the tv.
Sold with a small profit to someone that will get more joy and pleasure from it.

Chris.
Old 1st August 2020, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Nas Drive problems.

Chris, I wonder if you’re over-thinking things for music, perhaps TV is complicating the matter.

My “music server” is a 5 year old desktop pc, win8 updated to win10, with 1TB hard drive. I run it as our main PC for all day to day use. The library is 300+ Flac CDs and it still has more than half the drive space left.

I turn it on in the morning and off when we go to bed. No music server issues (it’s just another programme for a modest pc connected to your home network).