World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 10th March 2021, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Default Interesting development

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ve-energy.html

Following on from Baggy's recent BBCi player thread it was heartening to read this.

There's a lot of waste out there. There have been various schemes aimed at improving it. Recently mobile phone chargers were targeted for saving. The EU warranty should be 2 years not one on many items but enforcing it is difficult. The useful life of a car should be 6 years not 1-3 years but again try enforcing it other than going to court.

Apparently there is still no legislation regarding supply of spare parts. Hifi is an exception I think as much well designed stuff from 20-40 years ago is still working well, easily serviced, and can be integrated with modern streamers etc
Old 10th March 2021, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Interesting development

Hi Richard /All
Ha, Yes I saw this on the news this morning it’s good to see service parts will be made available in the summer they say. ? But can’t help thinking this will see price increases on these items as well.
As for reliability I still have a cheap 23-year-old microwave oven I got from Asda for the mind-blowing sum then of £25.00 and still using it today that’s good value me thinks.
And I agree with Richard on the vintage HiFi my pioneer amps are still being used and working great with nothing more than a recap
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 13th March 2021, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Interesting development

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin.hepburn View Post
Hi Richard /All
Ha, Yes I saw this on the news this morning it’s good to see service parts will be made available in the summer they say. ? But can’t help thinking this will see price increases on these items as well.
As for reliability I still have a cheap 23-year-old microwave oven I got from Asda for the mind-blowing sum then of £25.00 and still using it today that’s good value me thinks.
And I agree with Richard on the vintage HiFi my pioneer amps are still being used and working great with nothing more than a recap
Colin

Well, I can cap (25µ) that.

I went to live in Malta in 1989 and took with me a Leak Stereo 30 bought in 1975. It's still there and I'm told that the amp continues to perform correctly without any repairs or servicing having been undertaken. This was my first (and one of only three - the others were Armstrong and Sansui) transistorised amplifiers I have owned. A long time ago, Harold Leak's daughter bought me a cup of coffee. But this was years after J Arthur had bought the company.

Norra lotta people know that.

Last edited by Baggy Trousers; 13th March 2021 at 10:33 PM.