World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 5th October 2020, 02:47 AM

Default Any Linux users

Does anyone else here, by any chance, have a computer running on Linux, specifically Linux Mint 19, and been unable to boot it up this weekend? If so, see this https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtop...f=143&t=331605
Spent the weekend tearing my hair out trying to fix it until I came across this.

Alastair

Last edited by A Stuart; 5th October 2020 at 03:04 AM.
Old 5th October 2020, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Any Linux users

In the past I've tried Ubuntu a few times with varying success. Fine for internet browsing but sometimes (more often than not) complicated for anything else.

Is Mint as versatile as Windows 10 ?

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 5th October 2020, 07:10 PM

For me it started off with the demise of Windows XP support (six and a half years ago now!), and the man in the local computer shop suggesting it would not be worth paying him to put Windows 7 into an few years "old" machine.
This left me the choice of whether to stick my expensive, working, computer in the bin or do something with it.
And, a bit like entering DIY hifi, it was a case of proving to myself that it was not a scary box that only "experts" ought to delve inside.

If I had a formal education in computing it probably would be as versatile, but I am the limiting factor, not the system. You are less wrapped in cotton wool, but, as with this example I obtained the solution instantly I thought to look at the forum, rather than just googling scary-looking fixes for non-booting computers.
There is much less on-tap ready-to-use software than for Windows, but still fifty times more than I could ever perceive a need for.

In spite of being several years older than my "new " Windows machine it ploughs straight through large photo editing processes like butter, which Windows 10 plods through.

Last edited by A Stuart; 5th October 2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old 24th October 2020, 01:24 PM

I have a hard drive loaded with Ubuntu, which I plug in now and then to check for updates.

Today it offered me version 20.4, so now I'm in the process of downloading and installing it.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 21st March 2021, 07:37 PM

i use Windows
Old 21st March 2021, 10:14 PM

And are you interested in DIY hi-fi? (This is primarily a DIY hi-fi forum. I presume you noticed that .)

Also, my first ever post, I unwittingly answered something which was from years previous. It is always worth checking the date things were posted.

Is it Boston UK or Boston USA, or indeed any other?
Old 22nd March 2021, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

I've no exp of anything but Windows but the last year's constant huge "updates" every other week from MS which slow the computer to a crawl are making me wonder if anything else is better?
Old 22nd March 2021, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I've no exp of anything but Windows but the last year's constant huge "updates" every other week from MS which slow the computer to a crawl are making me wonder if anything else is better?
Hi Richard/All
Yep these windows 10 updates are a pain are they however there is a way around it just watch this chaps britec09 videos’ I have watched his vids for some time now a descent British computer teck

By following his videos’ on windows update I now have control I have blocked the very irritating constant huge "updates"
And can manually update the critical update when I want to update them here are the links to his videos ‘on how-to and more give them a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmVWU1iVEo8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfpO_0yJ0rM

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 28th March 2021, 11:59 AM

Some time ago, I purchased an inexpensive used Lenovo Chromebook.

I liked the way it worked, but I was not impressed by the fact that it was "life expired" as far as updates go.

Anyway, I also had an old Windows laptop, so I converted that to the Chrome operating system, and although it's not a proper "Chromebook" it has the majority of it's attributes.

So, If the major part of your computer usage is internet browsing, consider converting a Windows machine to the Chrome operating system.

Old 28th March 2021, 12:04 PM

Re Windows updates, I search for them daily, when I'm not busy, as I reason that it's better to have them than not.

But, having 4 W10 machines in the house, means I'm busy at monthly update time.