World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 6th June 2021, 02:55 PM

Question Unbalancing balanced.

I have a Mackie studio mixer that drives a 20m installation balanced line to drive a domestic amplifier with standard line inputs (600mv 50k). What method could be suggested to unbalance the cable to drive the amplifier. Active / Passive ?? I've been looking at 2x Palmer Pmt 11 transformer, perhaps others have other experience. The connection is basically wired, so any connectors are possible, although I would prefer cable in / out and the minimum amount of dials, switches as possible. FYI This line drives are pair of mid field / far field monitors, via a ROTEL RA-06.
Old 7th June 2021, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Unbalancing balanced.

Hi,
Well the best and correct way is to get a pair of 10K//10K matching transformers, mount them in a small die cast box with XLR input connectors and phono output connectors.
It is always safest to keep long leads balanced if possible and also this way will eliminate earth loops, so fit the box at the amplifier end, but if you think it sounds better reverse the situation with transformers at the mixer end.

John

Last edited by John Caswell; 7th June 2021 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Typo and additions