World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Other Parts and Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Other Parts and Projects All other WD Parts and Projects

Old 31st May 2022, 03:15 PM

Default Re: WD/WAD HD83 Mk2

Hi Bob.

Quite a lot of these caps on ebay are actually sold by Ukrainian sellers. Some of them have notes on the listing that the Ukraine postal services are still running. So, just be sure to buy from Ukrainian sellers and no problems....

ONE LOVE
Old 31st May 2022, 03:50 PM

My comments were aimed at those who might be worried about long term longevity.
I'm not pulling the coupling capacitors out of my leak or my EL34 amp on the point of principle. They were bought at a time when we were all buying up ex cold war surplus.
If we're going to be ethical about sourcing parts then I would suggest avoiding eBay and the ubiquitous Chinese gear. The Chinese have an equally dubious human rights and aggression record.
where do we stop?
The issue is that if you want to continue using and building Valve electronics then apart from NOS which is a dwindling resource, you're pretty much screwed as its only the russians and JJ in Slovenia? manufacturing new valves. I'm led to believe that Shuguang have packed in production at least for the time being so you cant even get a handful of New Chinese Audio valves.
I'm seriously considering taking up an interest in silicon circuitry if thats the way the future lies. Then again my preferred disc stages are all solid state either my homebrew MM job or a Rega FonoMC which I find both to be bloody good and I dont have to chase down quiet ECC83 types..................
It's interesting on the HF amateur bands at the moment as the Russian and Belarussian operators are trying their hardest to make contacts with their 1kW state sponsored rigs and beam aerials and most of the rest of the world makes a point of ignoring them.
Just a few of my random thoughts and dont take it to heart Bob.

73s

Andy
Old 31st May 2022, 05:27 PM

Hi Andy.

My paranoia regards the long term stems from watching too many vids from Mr Carlson's Lab. The caps in question are like yours, 10 years perfect service. Probably good for another 20 years....

About 8 months ago I bought a couple of 12ax7 reissues from a Uk seller. Should I now go and smash them up because they were made in Russia? Seems very extreme to me....
I also dont believe that these businesses have anything to do with the policies that the respective politicos in Russia or China make. By extension, most of our computers, tvs, phones, cars and etc could be added to the list. Like you say, where does it stop?

ONE LOVE
Old 31st May 2022, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Yes I did wonder when someone would mention this I think most of my valve came from Ukraine my Russian version of the 6L6/ 6P3-S/6P3-E/5881-E

And my KT66s/EL34s came from china and other EL34s/and 12AX7s are mallard and other Russian valves are 6n1P-EV/6n2P-EV and a stack of 6H9C 6SL7/6N8S/6SN7
So My WAD CF preamp and WD phono3 And J.E labs Single-ended KT66 amp will live on and I still use my solid-state stuff as well
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member

Last edited by colin.hepburn; 31st May 2022 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Me Spelling