World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 9th July 2023, 08:32 AM

Default Re: No new posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Stuart View Post
It is so hot, nobody wants to switch their valves on.
Well a couple of weeks ago - it was getting rather warm in my listening room with both the KEL34 and NV-06 valves pumping out loads of heat. So I decided to look for a cooler option for the warmer weather at least. Here's my solution, a Rega IO amplifier. Very good sounding and with a very competent phono stage plus headphone output. I'm well pleased with it driving LS3/5as. Rest of system is: heavily modded Rega RP3 with Neo psu, Origin Live Silver tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue MC and my homebrew stepup.

If what I'm hearing is colouration, then bring on the whole rainbow
Old 9th July 2023, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willslenco View Post
Well a couple of weeks ago - it was getting rather warm in my listening room with both the KEL34 and NV-06 valves pumping out loads of heat. So I decided to look for a cooler option for the warmer weather at least. Here's my solution, a Rega IO amplifier. Very good sounding and with a very competent phono stage plus headphone output. I'm well pleased with it driving LS3/5as. Rest of system is: heavily modded Rega RP3 with Neo psu, Origin Live Silver tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue MC and my homebrew stepup.

Is that a chopping board?

What have you done to the turntable platter? What are the isolation arrangements under the turntable? I also have a P3 (completely un-modded) that lives on one of their wall brackets. I ask because I also have a TD145 (with SME3009) that lives on top of a rack. I'm sure it could be improved with better isolation.

Tim
Old 9th July 2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
Tim, you need to listen to speakers yourself, preferably in you room with your amplifiers, there is a massive amount of speakers out there to chose from, saying all that, I once used two MF X-A100 amps with Acoustic energy AE1 Mk II speakers and I wish I still had them, they were almost perfect, but it also could be your source or Pre that is giving you the bright sound. Bob
Used with an X-P100 pre. I don't think a Rega P3 with G1042 cartridge is a bright combo.

I used to have a MF A3 that I partnered with some AE3 floorstanders. That was also a good combo. I've still got them somewhere.

I've always been a big MF fan. If only I could afford some Nu-Vista!
Old 9th July 2023, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimN View Post
Is that a chopping board?

What have you done to the turntable platter? What are the isolation arrangements under the turntable? I also have a P3 (completely un-modded) that lives on one of their wall brackets. I ask because I also have a TD145 (with SME3009) that lives on top of a rack. I'm sure it could be improved with better isolation.

Tim
Yes a chopping board, above which is an original Planar 3 plinth and then a RP3
on top.

RP3 has feet upgraded to latest iteration. Then in between chopping board and old plinth are - bottom to top - granite disks on felt pads, Chinese isolation pucks, and adjustable spiked feet... this was mainly done to get enough height to allow the Neo PSU to fit ;-)

The RP3 has had sub-platter and platter upgraded to Iceni Audio, https://iceniaudio.co.uk/products/ , items plus the latest Rega ADVANCED EBLT DRIVE BELT.

Full details: https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/in...?topic=37382.0

If what I'm hearing is colouration, then bring on the whole rainbow