World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 18th December 2013, 03:47 PM

Default Re: what are you listening to now

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers are blasting at full volume here - long time ago I heard something from them, but once in a while I just go back to their music.
Old 29th March 2014, 04:48 PM

The Webb Sisters "Savages" LP.
Just bought it at their concert in Oxford last night, and had it signed, "Charlie & Hattie" with an "X" from each of them, no less !
First encountered them as backing to Leonard Cohen - the first time I had heard, or probably more accurately the first time I had ever been aware of the voice being part of the music, as opposed to singing a song while the music was being played.
Can't help wondering if Clannad was an early influence, if they are old enough for that to have been the case.
Last night was awesome. And I don't mean that in the trivial teenage-speak sense of the word.
They are on again this Monday (31/03/14) in Nottingham for anyone interested, if I am allowed to advertise
http://www.wegottickets.com/event/253647
http://www.glee.co.uk/nottingham-music

The LP obviously sounds more rounded and "produced", not to the detriment of either itself or the live event.

Alastair
Old 4th May 2014, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Kaiser Chiefs - Education Education Education War

latest album, picked up the CD doing the shopping in Asda on Friday for £7 (!) and is a great album very musical with something of a concept running through but not as angry as their earlier stuff, much more polished with Roses and Heaven instant favourites

Nice booklet too and I wonder if the track order was revised instead of ending on the somewhat dark Cannons? Certainly the web servers are confused as when I ripped it to MP3 it comes up with 10 tracks in the wrong order and the first one called Contents
Old 4th May 2014, 03:14 PM

"9 dead Alive" the new Rodrigo y Gabriela.

Oredered it a few months ago from their official website and got the Vinyl + CD + download all at the price of the Lp

It's a sort of concept album, 9 pieces of music inspired by 9 people that obviously influenced the duo.
What to say? Well its typically Rod y Gab, perhaps a bit more lyrical and melodic than previous stuff, you'll love it or hate it depending on your opinion of them.
The recording seems to be balanced on the warm side of neutral, and is the same whether you listen to download (all popular formats supported, I used FLAC), CD or Vinyl. I found the CD best overall which is a bit heretical maybe, but hey ho I think the LP hasn't been particularly well pressed and anyway it will have been a digital recording from the start. I feel the LP is really only for "Completists" who like the artwork etc and probably never play it as the CD comes with it.
You can get an idea of the music with a free download in fairly **** MP3 of the first track on their website.

I am starting to enjoy this offering after a couple of listens. And looking forward to being at the Albert Hall on the 21st............ I won a couple of tickets in the draw at work for Albert Hall tickets, our company raffles off some of their their corporate tickets for charity. .............. I fancy getting my name down when the last night of the proms comes up. You never know...............

A.
Old 7th May 2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Kaiser Chiefs - Education Education Education War

latest album, picked up the CD doing the shopping in Asda on Friday for £7 (!) and is a great album very musical with something of a concept running through but not as angry as their earlier stuff, much more polished with Roses and Heaven instant favourites

D
Not knowing the Kaiser Chiefs, I invested £1:50 in the Cancer Research shop for a copy of Employment.

Well, what can I say that's polite ? Not my taste.

Next on was a Foster and Allen CD, now that's more my style.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 7th May 2014, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Not knowing the Kaiser Chiefs, I invested £1:50 in the Cancer Research shop for a copy of Employment.

Well, what can I say that's polite ? Not my taste.

Next on was a Foster and Allen CD, now that's more my style.

Yes it's a bit like recommending a Laal Maas to someone who doesn't know what a curry is I suppose Philip but top marks for giving it a go
Old 9th May 2014, 03:53 PM

P.J. Harvey - 4-Track Demos. I first saw her back in 1992 at Wolverton College - seems a long time ago.

Philip - don't bother tracking this one down at your local charity shop, it would be a waste of £1.50, definitely not your taste.
Old 9th May 2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmodromic View Post
P.J. Harvey - 4-Track Demos. I first saw her back in 1992 at Wolverton College - seems a long time ago.

Philip - don't bother tracking this one down at your local charity shop, it would be a waste of £1.50, definitely not your taste.
I had a listen on you tube.

A mix of Kate Bush and Chrissie Hynde ?

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 9th May 2014, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
I had a listen on you tube.
Good idea, here's Education, easier going than Employment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxH7fQUj3uw
Old 23rd May 2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerhifinut View Post
"9 dead Alive" the new Rodrigo y Gabriela.

Oredered it a few months ago from their official website and got the Vinyl + CD + download all at the price of the Lp

It's a sort of concept album, 9 pieces of music inspired by 9 people that obviously influenced the duo.
What to say? Well its typically Rod y Gab, perhaps a bit more lyrical and melodic than previous stuff, you'll love it or hate it depending on your opinion of them.
The recording seems to be balanced on the warm side of neutral, and is the same whether you listen to download (all popular formats supported, I used FLAC), CD or Vinyl. I found the CD best overall which is a bit heretical maybe, but hey ho I think the LP hasn't been particularly well pressed and anyway it will have been a digital recording from the start. I feel the LP is really only for "Completists" who like the artwork etc and probably never play it as the CD comes with it.
You can get an idea of the music with a free download in fairly **** MP3 of the first track on their website.

I am starting to enjoy this offering after a couple of listens. And looking forward to being at the Albert Hall on the 21st............ I won a couple of tickets in the draw at work for Albert Hall tickets, our company raffles off some of their their corporate tickets for charity. .............. I fancy getting my name down when the last night of the proms comes up. You never know...............

A.
Well, the performance at the RAH was fantastic. They really do go for it and it was obvious they enjoy performing live, more than just a fixed set of pieces.
I hope their gig at Glastonbury makes it to the television screens as it's the only way I'll get to see it.