World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 24th October 2021, 12:19 PM

Default Re: what are you listening to now

Have just bought the 50th anniversary edition of Rory Gallagher. It’s a triple LP. Disc 1 is the remasterized version of Rory’s solo LP, after Taste fell apart.Disc 2 is, in part, a reissue of the original version and Disc3 is a mishmash of alternative takes, some live from the Beeb etc. Normally I wouldn’t go near this sort of presentation as they’re only in it for the money but I always liked Rory’s work. Also it’s revealing to hear the original version as you would have heard it on your Dansette in the 70s in Uni digs or wherever and now hear it through your effete mid fi system, taking in all the tiny details and placement info. Dunno which is better but there’s a case for both.
Rory was a hell of a blues guitarist and he even plays the sax on disc 3.
Old 30th October 2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VantheMan View Post
Have just bought the 50th anniversary edition of Rory Gallagher. It’s a triple LP. Disc 1 is the remasterized version of Rory’s solo LP, after Taste fell apart.Disc 2 is, in part, a reissue of the original version and Disc3 is a mishmash of alternative takes, some live from the Beeb etc. Normally I wouldn’t go near this sort of presentation as they’re only in it for the money but I always liked Rory’s work. Also it’s revealing to hear the original version as you would have heard it on your Dansette in the 70s in Uni digs or wherever and now hear it through your effete mid fi system, taking in all the tiny details and placement info. Dunno which is better but there’s a case for both.
Rory was a hell of a blues guitarist and he even plays the sax on disc 3.
I need to listen to more Rory Gallagher.
By the way, I still always listen to my 60's and 70's singles on my Dansette. For me, it is the way they are supposed to sound.
Old 31st October 2021, 08:14 AM

For me, it is the way they are supposed to sound. , so how are they supposed to sound ? are you trying to say that all this quality expensive and time consuming Hi-Fi equipment that will reproduce every little piece of information from the recording is wrong ? so should I throw away a life time of trying to achieve the best possible music reproduction and buy a poxy Dansette I don't think I will. Maybe we should put this to a test panel. Bob
Old 31st October 2021, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

"For me, it is the way they are supposed to sound."

I read this as the way Simon expects them to sound and if so I know what he means. An example for me would be TRex white swan which I've probably never heard on a hifi but takes me straight back to hearing it on medium wave radio and Dansettes at school and friend's houses in the early 70's

A slightly different example would be listening to Simon and Garfunkel sound of silence on a valve hifi many years later, somehow that twangy guitar just sounds so right when it's reproduced with valve sound - whatever that is
Old 31st October 2021, 08:45 AM

Three in favour of the Dansette then, I suppose I should get one .Bob
Old 31st October 2021, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Yep go for it Bob. The sound of silence version you need is the single of course with the jangly guitars Seriously my brother was looking out for a nice Hacker with the 2 speakers from the early days of stereo for a similar reason...

Thinking a bit more, and the other way around, yes I do remember being distinctly disappointed with a Cream album in my early days of having a "hi-fi" as it sounded so different to how I'd heard it for all my earlier years on radio and Dansettes
Old 31st October 2021, 10:46 AM

Come on Richard, I can't agree with any of this nonsense, there is no way that this type of old kit is going to be better than modern reproduces, the most likely explanation is that this type of kit has cut its own path in the record groove and now played on good kit sounds awful, for obvious reasons, maybe Matthew should tell people who want to by his excellent products that to play 60-70 records they will need a Dansette . Bob
Old 31st October 2021, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Hi/All
Well, the Dansette Eh:
we never had one we had the BSR version.and as Richard I to recall Trex ride a white swan and later hot love sound on the BSR .but most of all I remember playing the old rock/roll that I’ll be the day and glad all over the Dave Clark five, etc.
I can recall my dad fixing it for us one time I did not know it back then but it was an EL84 single-ended amp it had in it
This is maybe why I like the single-ended sound today
I can also remember hearing pink Floyd's dark side on a friend's dads big radiogram
And I can also remember The first turntable I was given at the age of five was a wind-up gramophone and a stack of 78s and I did use it can’t remember what the 78s were thou and we still have a market for the 78s playback today from various Hi-Fi manufactures
And the 78s and the BSR record player is what may well have led me into this hobby today
colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 31st October 2021, 05:09 PM

Hi All

Perhaps it’s our nostalgic memories that colour our enjoyment.

When CD was first around I recall George Harrison saying he preferred Sargent Pepper in mono as he remembered it.

As a teenager I used to listen to soul music (Otis Redding, Sam & Dave etc.) on a cobbled together system out in the shed. Garrard auto-changer with piezoelectric cartridge, Williamson amplifier and 12” Baker speaker mounted in an old radiogram cabinet. It sounded loud and fantastic. Years later the same records sounded dull and disappointing on my Hi-Fi. But I’ve heard remixed vinyl and CD versions sounding wonderful on HiFi, rekindling the nostalgic memories and adding a clarity not heard before. Horses for corses maybe.

Frank
Old 31st October 2021, 06:10 PM

Don't ask me to remember where I read it, but I have on more than one occasion seen authors bemoaning the "fact" that recordings were largely mixed and balanced and whatever else they do to them to suit listening on the tranny, not for the elite minority with reasonably hi- hi-fi.

The real point of me posting here is to support Simon1's use of "supposed to". I think most of us understand the thought he was trying to convey.

Not, of course, knocking Bob's approach to his own listening taste either