World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 7th November 2021, 08:38 PM

Default Re: what are you listening to now

[quote=Richard;93282]"For me, it is the way they are supposed to sound."

I read this as the way Simon expects them to sound and if so I know what he means. An example for me would be TRex white swan which I've probably never heard on a hifi but takes me straight back to hearing it on medium wave radio and Dansettes at school and friend's houses in the early 70's

I am sorry. I didn't mean to cause such a debate ! Richard, thank you, yes, I should have chosen my words more carefully and said that is how I expect them to sound and how I enjoy listening to my singles. I never play albums on my Dansette. I have a World Designs KEL 84 and other things for albums where I want the finest sound quality and where I hope to feel that the singers / instruments are in the room with me. But I have used a Dansette all my life and grew up playing my singles on one, so that is the sound that I love to hear from them, with all the scratches and crackles. Bob, I am sorry for my poor wording and it was not intended to offend our constant search for the most beautiful sound in our main systems.
Simon
Old 8th November 2021, 08:31 AM

No apology necessary Simon, it is good to hear what others think even if some of us disagree. Bob
Old 8th November 2021, 09:22 AM

Thank you Bob
Old 13th November 2021, 10:16 AM

Personally I suspect singles should be enjoyed on a Dansette or similar. I can only remember buying 4 singles in my life : Football Crazy by somebody Scottish; Wimoweh by the Karl Denver Trio; Telstar by the Tornadoes and Poison Ivy by ?. Then the LP fad started and “progressive” music , but I did buy the 25th anniversary box of Motown reissues and played them just once before flogging myLinn Lingo power supply and saying farewell to 45rpm. They sounded bloody awful, as if they couldn’t stand up to a closer inspection. Too much gunge in the background, not at all like Ifondly remember them from my dissolute youth
Old 4th September 2022, 09:43 AM

ok. It’s been a year. Am listening to a recent acquisition by Bill Evans - You must believe in Spring. A very late issue for Evans (1977) so a slicker production than usual (Tommy Li Puma) but I am a sucker for his piano tone. This is really haunting and includes the theme music from MASH which apparently is really called “Suicide is painless” . I knew that Evans was wrecked by Drugs etc and had taken his own life but on reading a bit more , apparently both his mother and sister also died likewise so let’s just call it Mash. A bit of an earworm.