World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 12th May 2013, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Motorbikes.

Yer Wot???

(May I most respectfully, in accordance, reply)
Old 12th May 2013, 03:13 AM
WD Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Trousers View Post
Frankly, I consider this to be a specious argument. To accept this would be to allow that the illiterate textings of idiot children would have the same mechanistic value as the works of Macauley or Shakespeare.
That is a point I whole heartedy agree with. Shortly before I retired from the police service, I was supervising young officers who were completing their reports, some of which would become evidential documents for court purposes, in abbreviated language used for texting. They found it difficult to understand the need to use correctly spelt words and the correct grammar.
Old 12th May 2013, 08:10 AM

Beautifully avoided split infinitive there if I may say so, Baggo.

The way that we use English absolutely classifies us, the moment we speak we make some other Englishman despise us. Henry was absolutely right. Language grows and mutates constantly, and different groups send it in different directions. A lot of the objections we have to certain forms of English arise as much from a desire not to be identified with those who use them as from any deep-seated objection to change. What offends me far more than the breaking of a set of arcane rules is the loss of beauty, varity and richness.

Baggo is probably right to say that "stupider" is technically incorrect (although I still don't kow why), but I would still have to use it in my original sentence because it flows better, and fits very neatly with the sentiment being expressed . After all, only a person as stupid or more stupid than I would use it there.

Last edited by Shane; 12th May 2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12th May 2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Beautifully avoided split infinitive there if I may say so, Baggo.
Thought you'd like it!

[/quote] The way that we use English absolutely classifies us, the moment we speak we make some other Englishman despise us. Henry was absolutely right. Language grows and mutates constantly, and different groups send it in different directions. A lot of the objections we have to certain forms of English arise as much from a desire not to be identified with those who use them as from any deep-seated objection to change. What offends me far more than the breaking of a set of arcane rules is the loss of beauty, varity and richness.[/quote]

But are not the arcane rules the framework upon which beauty, variety and richness are supported? Nevertheless, I accept the veracity of what you say (and enjoy the way expressed).

What I imagine to be socio-economic aspects, I had not considered. Henry was very much a product of the 19th century and I'm not sure if his views relate to the 21st - we now have so many more vehicles to assist social mobility and of course, educational curriculae are quite different. Curiously, I have just been watching a clip of Dave talking in 2004. It is clear from his still Eton-derived accent that he (and George is an even more obvious example) has in the meantime made a very conscious effort to sound more like hoi poloi, obviously in the self-serving expectation of appealing to a wider audience. A sort of Liza Doolittle in reverse. But as you observe, any change of this sort is bound to alienate some section. In his case it's me as I think it is phony.

But this sort of thing probably has existed since the dawn of social evolution, certainly long before Mrs Malaprop. It would be interesting to return in a hundred years and see where it all might have lead. That's assuming there will be something to which we might return. (Oh, how adroitly I avoided ending the sentence with a preposition!).

Did I mention my Ariel had gone sick . . . .?
Old 12th May 2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Did I mention my Ariel had gone sick . . . .?
Oh no.

Not as sick as my Tri-BSA I hope.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 12th May 2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
educational curriculae are
Ah, yes, the collective term. One curriculum, two curricula, but five curriculae.

I am afraid my credentials to get on this thread amount only to a Suzuki GP100 in my past.
Alastair
Old 13th May 2013, 11:46 AM

Better qualified than I, in that case. I've never ridden a motorbike in my life and don't intend to start now, although I've always admired the engineering involved. The late, great Leonard Setright always maintained that bike engineering was around ten years ahead of the rest of the motor industry. He also believed that the use of a motor cycle should always be for pleasure and never out of necessity. If I was a biker, I would probably agree.
Old 13th May 2013, 06:22 PM
WD Archivist

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22403731
Old 13th May 2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
Very good, Greg but it hasn't done me any good on the dating sites!

Philip - fortunately only ignition problems and a defective mag slip-ring is rather less dramatic than a busted crank. I feel for you. However, it doesn't require much in the way of malady for a bike to need the succour of the breakdown service. Actually, my biggest headache was finding a signal for the mobile to contact these people - a common enough irritation in the folds of glorious Devonshire. And it's raining again.

Shane - As I recall, Mr Setright was born into a life of some comfort and therefore was not required to ride a motorbike out of necessity. We only suffered the cold, wind, wet and falling off on the tram lines and those bloody metal studs approaching pedestrian crossings etc because we could not yet afford a fifth-hand Ford "Y" Type or Morris 8 Series II. And even when we found the twenty quid to purchase such a contrivance, during the time elapsing between Exchange and Mart appearing at WH Smith's and the mad ride across town was sufficient for some other impecunious (and by comparison, probably undeserving) fellow to do the deal just before you arrived. Made men of us though . . . .

But some truth in LKJ's idea that motorcycle engines anticipated design aspects of four-wheelers. There is a few examples of this; the one I like is the Vanwall engine being four Manx Nortons (of essentially pre-War provenance) joined together. Contrarily, it was Monsieur Henry who came up with the DOHC notion before the Great War. In a car, no less!
Old 16th May 2013, 08:46 AM

I managed to get a replacement crankshaft for the Tri-BSA yesterday afternoon.

It's got the lighter flywheel, and that may be an advantage ?

Hopefully it will be ready to race again on May 26th and passed fit for race duties at an international classic motocross meeting at Lochem (Holland) on 8th June.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.