Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 25th February 2021, 09:48 PM
WD Archivist

Default Re: WD26t speaker (tweeter & xo) or alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by adejacko View Post
Nothing has been bought yet (apart from the CD-ROM), so if anyone has any other suggestions for speaker builds - please contact me. Basically I looking for a small floorstander (approx 1metre high) preferably 2-way to keep the costs down with a 8" - 10" woofer, decent frequency response and bass extension (at least as low as 40 - 45 HZ) that costs under £1000.
The benefit of getting the CD Rom is that you will have plans for the earlier WAD speakers, a number of which will meet your criteria. One of the problems with the WD25T design is obtaining the correct grade of reticulated foam used to damp the aperiodic port. If you go for an earlier WAD design that uses Audax drivers you may find difficult to source, report back here as we maybe able to help further.
Old 26th February 2021, 08:41 AM

For £1000 there must be 100's if not 1000's of good second hand speakers that fit your needs, even £500 will buy something very good, and you won't have to build them. Bob
Old 26th February 2021, 06:49 PM

Bob is right buying secondhand will get the best deal for your money and for a £1000 there are a lot of good options, it's really hard at this time to demo equipment, you will have to take into account room size and the type of music you will be listen to. It will be worth reading as many reviews as possible to narrow it down a bit.
Diy speakers will save you money but new speaker drivers are expensive, there is nothing better then having built them then to experience their sound.

Chris.
Old 26th February 2021, 10:17 PM

Just to add more grist to the mill you definitely will get best value with second hand but have you thought of flat packed kits as Chris suggests from say Wimslow audio or IPL acoustics or even a frugal horn (depending on room size).
You can get most as complete kits with pre cut parts and everything you’ll need including veneer

Think you’ll have lots of reading before you decide as you can’t do listening test atm but house arrest is lifted soon it looks like

Martin
Old 27th February 2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Nothing has been bought yet (apart from the CD-ROM), so if anyone has any other suggestions for speaker builds - please contact me. Basically I looking for a small floorstander (approx 1metre high) preferably 2-way to keep the costs down with a 8" - 10" woofer, decent frequency response and bass extension (at least as low as 40 - 45 HZ) that costs under £1000.
Not that long ago I sold a pair of WD25t speakers (needing some work but drivers OK) for a tenth of your budget.

I liked what they did, but for £1K I'd be tempted look at open back designs.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 27th February 2021, 02:49 PM
WD Archivist

Furthermore, WD25T’s don’t perform in the 40-45Hz region.
Old 28th February 2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks everyone who's replied to this thread. I REALLY do appreciate your comments. I look forward to receiving my CD-ROM and building these speakers. I'm still interested in anyone's own experience with their build of this speaker, maybe some of you have opinions about the sound or tuning. . The original idea was to build them with cheaper tweeters then upgrade later when I had more money. I want a pair of speakers that I'll be happy with for the rest of my life. I may just take out a small loan and go for the EX version with the Millennium tweeters, as Peter said this was the best version.
https://www.wilmslowaudio.co.uk/sm11...tor-1844-p.asp
I would look at Wilmslow Audio.

For example, http://https://www.wilmslowaudio.co.uk/vogue---classic-1745-p.asp

or, if you can tolerate a low-ish stand, something like...

http://https://www.wilmslowaudio.co.uk/sm110-near-field-monitor-1844-p.asp
Old 3rd March 2021, 02:14 AM

Thanks.
The Wilmslow near field monitor is out of my price range. Have already considered the Vogue - decnt spl, but too deep - I don't have the space to pull them away from the wall.
Having read all your comments - it would seem a second hand pair is cheaper than diy and might be a better option. I just love the look and design of the WD25t's - very hard to find a 10" woofer in a slim cabinet that can be placed close to the wall - simple and elegant. Just a shame it's not a more sensitive speaker - the article (on CD) said 87db spl. 90dB would have been great.
The search continues.
Old 3rd March 2021, 08:36 AM

You mention 10" drivers, why ? a transmission line speaker with a driver half that size will provide very low bass, and some will work close to a wall, look at PCM or kit build IPL Acoustics, I built a pair of there smallest TL with 3.5" bass drivers, bass was very low for the size. Bob
Old 4th March 2021, 08:12 AM

Hi Ade
Just to throw in my 2 cents worth I built a set of WD25T's a couple of years ago and have not been disappointed with the time and effort. I built mine with the Millennium tweeters and final version of the crossover by Peter. Boxes were constructed from 25mm ply and MDF for bracing.

I have no problems with bass performance, I feel that it taught and tuneful and certainly in my system reproduces the lower frequencies of instruments very well (although I guess subsonic synth bass may be pushing it if that is your thing!)

I would say have a go at building the speakers if you can find the components and timber come in at your budget. There is nothing like the satisfaction you get from listening to equipment you have built.

Best

Phil.