World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Useful Links
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Useful Links Links to other useful sites

Old 25th July 2006, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Ohm's Law

yes ohms law is as absolutely simple as it comes.

all you really need for dc is ohms law and watts law, and potential dividers.

wait till you apply it all to ac theory, I have been on and off for years, and am just starting to understand ac, still a long way to go....

in essence, a capacitor and inductor are ac resistors....if you remember that and drill it in, it all becomes much clearer, and forget about capacitors and inductors, just think in terms of frequency variable resistances. all the dc laws still apply

remember tho, that those are just passive components, the holy trinity, RLC, then come the actives, like diodes, valves and transistors, which are a whole new ball game...

a good american electrical principles textbook is the best way, as they seem to most logical and lucid. very well written.
Old 25th July 2006, 11:13 AM

Capacitors and inductors are not in any way ac resistors!!!! That is a total nonsense and no one should think of them as such... This is very misleading and overlooks fundamental aspects of how capacitors and inductors affect the ac signal!!!

Phase shifts and V/I current conduction angles are vitally important to understanding ac circuits and capacitors and inductors - regarding ac active components as just ac resistors is just plain misleading and wrong!!!

resistors are straight linear devices and V follows I and vice versa. For capacitors and inductors V follows dI/dt!!! This is such a fundamental difference that you cannot equate the two in your own mind and still understand the difference.

James
Old 25th July 2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew ivimey
Baby Ongaku ( all silver and tantalum version) using 2A3s has me stunned; bloody loud too, I know it is my own heresy but I won't be going back to LW
Do tell us more! As you have both, how close is the baby Ongaku to your fully grown "Ongaku"? I've also enjoyed reading Rankin's articles and was very tempted by the 45. But the 2a3 sounds interesting too...

Simon
Old 25th July 2006, 02:24 PM

Hello Simon, I've spent a lot of time and money on these Rankin amplifiers (Bugle(45SE) , Baby Ongak (2A3SE) & direct coupled / constant current DC/CC (45SE) so I will write at length later, but to skip to the last chapter, so to speak, what about Ongakus ???

I have rebuilt Ongaku three times since and it is a superb amplifier. No doubt the real thing is better, but at what price!

I was amused to feel 'cross' by the Baby Ongaku article daring to suggest a kinship. OTOH, Baby Ongaku uses all the best components and soundly warns readers that corners just should not be cut. I haven't 'tuned' the HT as suggested yet and am about 30volts low; easy enough to do something about that. So this baby has cost about £900 (including the silver amorphous transformers that once proudly sang on the LW). My big Ongaku has cost about this too,er, a bit more really - so there is a similarity!

Baby Ongaku uses audionote tantalums, audionote coupling caps, Cerafine for PSU and blackgate for cathode; no corners cut there. oh and right now
EHGG2A3s because they were to hand.

It sounds wonderful and very loud too.

After about six hours, lulled out of suspicion, there was a tonal change; the tantalums(?) - well it could be. Will this change again?

There is superb detail, 'very loud' is easy even with 93dB speakers and it is way above many amplifiers I have used / heard. In fact, right now, I can think of two.

In that it is a superb amplifier ( and expensive too) it is related to Ongaku. What the big brother adds is space and air, authority and effortless power. They are both wonderful.

I need more time for warming through and tweaking. I no longer have Bugle as I needed the chassis but I have DC/CC too and that is one of the other amps I can compare on a par with Baby Ongaku.

To cut a long story short, Bugle is sweet, surprising and can be cheap, so a marvellous bargain!
Old 25th July 2006, 02:51 PM

Andrew
do you have a link to the baby Ongaku article?

thanks

Old 25th July 2006, 02:57 PM

Hi-its on the forum

see the link,first post

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum...ead.php?t=1152

Philip

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 25th July 2006, 03:02 PM

so it is, thanks Philip,

what a stupid boy!!

Old 25th July 2006, 03:11 PM

You got mail, David
Old 25th July 2006, 10:12 PM

Thanks Andrew, very interesting. I look forward to the earlier chapters! If AE ever send me the iron it might be quite interesting to compare the Baby Ongaku against c3g driven 2a3s.
Old 25th July 2006, 10:20 PM

FYI, AE are on holiday untill the 8th of Aug

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.