Default Re: Coupling capacitor values

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
Just been looking at this. About rgccarter
Where are you? (you must fill this in)
Nowhere
Your Interest (you must fill this in)
Nothing
Who you are in Hi Fi (you must fill this in)
Nobody
words say a lot. Bob
Thanks, bob. I have just sent a PM to this member telling him to correct it if he wants help from others here
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 6th August 2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin.hepburn View Post
Thanks, bob. I have just sent a PM to this member telling him to correct it if he wants help from others here
Colin
I did originally have the appropriate details. However, after several interactions with a forum member (i'm sure you know who I am referring to), I felt that this forum wasn't very friendly or welcoming. (No fear I have put the member on my ignore list so I don't need to worry about any further interactions with them.)

I decided to remove this personal information a I felt I probably wouldn't return.

When I bought my Kel84 over 10years ago, I found this forum a very friendly place and helpful. Yes I am not the most knowledgeable but that's why I post on the forums and was always returned with friendly advice. (I had to rejoin recently as my old profile seems to of been deleted, probably in a database clear/update so that why I probably look like a noob)

Sadly, this place feels very different now.

I am still considering whether I want to be part of this forum.
Old 6th August 2021, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Hi,
I am somewhat puzzled and saddened to read this as I was under the impression we were a very friendly group, obviously not to to you.
Like other forums we have had our share of "undesirables" and we try to weed them out, obviously not successfully.
I hope that you will reconsider and stay with us, but if you decide to leave I apologise for having driven you away

John
Old 6th August 2021, 06:58 PM

It's the last thing this site needs is for member to walk away, last one turns off the lights!

The Orange coupling caps are used for being reliable, cheap, and easy to fit when space is limited, many enjoying their sound over more expensive caps. There is some concern over oil filled capacitors in an area where it gets very hot, so expensive caps could turn out to be less reliable.

I have fitted Clarity caps M, which are very good.

But as Bob says don't do what I did and change too many bits at one time and not know where you messed up, it's easy to take things one step too far.. changing like for like is OK, keeping the same voltage ratings and values

Chris.
Old 6th August 2021, 07:29 PM

Well, I think RGC,Carter may be referring to me, if so I do apologise if I have offended, I can sometimes come across a bit blunt, but I mean no harm, as I have said in the past, it is just me being me, if you stay with us and I hope you do, you will find that I can be very helpful. Bob
Old 7th August 2021, 10:39 AM

Well said Bob, what a very conciliatory reply. I hope your apology is accepted and rgccarter remains a member. I’m sure I remember him posting on here many years back.
Fred.
Old 7th August 2021, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Hi all,
I have to admit a lot of mistrust of Paper In Oil capacitors (PIO).
Nearly all that I have come across in a piece of equipment have caused problems generally by being electrically leaky, not mechanically. This applies to pretty well all makes so I tend to steer clear of them.
Pretty well all the polyester, PET ie "Orange Drops" and MKT1813 and similar types cause no problems at al.
I'm keeping out of how they "sound" scenario

John
Old 7th August 2021, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Hi All
Just out of interest I use the SoniqsSAX capacitors availably from Mathew in my WAD phono 2 and will continue the use them in the new WD phono3s build I seem to recall reading the onetime owner of WAD peter com said that Soniqs made them up to spec for WAD at that time
I also use the Russian Teflon T3s caps in my single-ended JE labs amp don’t want to get into how they sound but the T3s excel on female vocals
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 6th September 2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
Well, I think RGC,Carter may be referring to me, if so I do apologise if I have offended, I can sometimes come across a bit blunt, but I mean no harm, as I have said in the past, it is just me being me, if you stay with us and I hope you do, you will find that I can be very helpful. Bob
Thanks Bob.