World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 2nd September 2006, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Pre Amps?

[quote=petercom]

At present, due to the valves we are planning to use, we are going to have to stretch the cases vertically, or have the valve tops poking out the top (if anyone has views on this let me know as we are designing the case now).

I think it is fair to say that I am not a fan of cathode follower, particularly in a preamp output where the load dependance can be a factor. I know it has solved the occasional hum pickup problem in the pre2, but you won't be seeing it in a WD Pre3! Neither will we have the hum pickup problem as the output stage and transformer are going to be far more advanced in conception and performance. And we are also re-designing the moving coil step up transformers for incredible performance from low output mc cartridges.

[quote]

I wouldn't particularly mind whether the valves showed through the top or the case was higher though it would be useful if the height is such that it will still fit on a normal height equipment shelf. Just a thought but as they are small signal valves could they not be mounted horizontally?

With regard to the output configuration, I have seen adverse comments on cathode followers before. Using transformers seems a cleaner way to go especially if the susceptibility to hum pickup in the PreII can be avoided. One plea I would make is that the output is designed to be stable into long leads and low as well as high impedance power amp inputs so it will be truly universal and allow the siting of power amps, valve or solid state, close to the speakers. (It will also allow the use of active speakers - I admit a selfish interest here with my Meridian M2s with an input impedance of 9k ohms). Again, the use of transformers should be a good way of ensuring this.

Roger
Old 3rd September 2006, 05:55 AM

Visible valves for me Peter, If you've got it flaunt it.

regards

Attilio
Old 3rd September 2006, 08:31 AM

Hi-i would be more tempted if the valves were visible,or part visible but it would not stop me if they were enclosed.

Philip

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 3rd September 2006, 01:42 PM
Lord.

I think that 'peephole' cases look a bit odd.
Either keep the valves fully covered or get them out for the lads - no halfway teasing please.

I like that the new WD88VA looks like part of the same family as the WAD Modular pre-amp range. Those components have lovely proportions whether in isolation or lined up all together.

I'm not a great fan of big chunky cases, especially for pre-amps. The link below shows an old picture of a WD competitor's prototype pre-amplifier (as yet unreleased) which I think just looks fugly (proportion wrong, knobs look too small, knobs too close to edges),
http://www.zerogain.com/forum/attach...3&d=1123871538

All just in the opinion of my highly discerning eyes.
Old 3rd September 2006, 01:58 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Matt,

I concur.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 3rd September 2006, 02:16 PM

Hi,

I too, think that cases with holes for valves to poke through also look a little odd (IMHO).

The WAD PRE series were just about the right height for the shelves in my rack, and depending on what combinations of racks and equipment people may have, height could be a factor.

The widest spacing on my sound style rack is between the bottom and second shelf up, currently occupied by a little used AV amp. The top shelf is the only other place I can fit my KAT6550, and to allow heat dissapation, I think that this is the best position.

I'm sure Peter has taken these factors into account, and hopefully the additional height of the new PRE3 will not be too much and will not cause siting problems.

As for the visual match, as mentioned by others, IMHO, the WAD look would be hard to be bettered, I'm sure WD may wish to stamp their own corporate identity on their new products, but I personally like the matching look of my components which helps with the much talked about WAF too!

Mike.
Old 3rd September 2006, 02:16 PM

I concur too....

In or out, not halfway......

cheers,

-- Andrew
Old 3rd September 2006, 02:24 PM

said the actress to the bishop

Philip

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 7th September 2006, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I'll check to see if the TVCs fit the new case and report back.
Hi Peter,

No hurry for this one, but it would be excellent, from a personal perspective, to know if the TVCs will fit?

many thanks,

-- Andrew
Old 9th September 2006, 10:49 AM

Hello Peter

When might the pre III be ready for market. Here's hoping its soon!

Regards
Dave