World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 10th January 2006, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Live Music

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree Stuart - otherwise this thread is going to become very boring!

John.
Old 13th January 2006, 11:33 AM

I'm with john on this one, alot of people around my age listen to to clasical and as well as the more modern stuff....music they never used to listen to.

As you get older, many your musical taste changes.. you mellow... and when the kids have grown, you have time to explore... if you know what i mean...

but i'm not saying that the same for everyone..
just most of the people i know...!

cheers steve
Old 13th January 2006, 12:04 PM

I have tried hard to get an appreciation of Classical music, but it always sounds disappointing. Maybe it exposes the weakness in my music system.
Consequently I don't buy any classical recordings, ironically i am happy to sit through the occasional concert being full of admiration for the musicians.
There is something about the structure of most classical pieces that I just cannot get to grips with.
Old 13th January 2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnewall
I have tried hard to get an appreciation of Classical music, but it always sounds disappointing. Maybe it exposes the weakness in my music system.
Consequently I don't buy any classical recordings, ironically i am happy to sit through the occasional concert being full of admiration for the musicians.
There is something about the structure of most classical pieces that I just cannot get to grips with.
i know what you mean.. much of it seems to be recorded from a distance and as a result sounds... sort of..... distant...

i have a few good recordings but many are not.. that is why many of the old decca recording are so highly prized.. and also we tend not to play at the 'live' volume ..
Old 15th January 2006, 12:37 PM

Steve,
I could'nt agree more about 'live' volume. As much as Angela likes music, like many women she does'nt like 'volume' at all and never turns her system up loud.

For me the beauty of a live philharminc orchestra are the crescendos - a huge amount of energy but how many of us live in an environment where you can even begin to replicate that energy and so the music can sound bland and un-interesting.The only alternative is a head amp.

As I said in my earlier post, there is much classical music that I find insufferably 'intellectual' and downright boring conversely there are pieces that are incredible.

Certainly unless you are an android, tastes in music will change - I've got around 300 LPs that should on hindsight never have come to Spain with me.

Anyone for frisbees?

Black Stuart
Old 15th January 2006, 03:17 PM

Hi all

I must say that that I appreciated classical music has I got older, some of my favourites are Meditation by Jules Massent, Piono concerto by Chopin and various pieces by Suppe, but I dont like the 1812 overture I find it contrived and far to noisy.

Having said that you cant really beat a life orchestra with its full dynamics and excitement, but then you cant really compare it with a CD and LP on your home Hi Fi if you could reproduce the full power of a 100 piece orchestra you may well bring your house down.

Regards Acorn
Old 15th January 2006, 07:23 PM

Fawlty Towers:

"BASIL, what's that racket?"

" I believe it's Brahms Third Racket dear"

Old 16th January 2006, 02:04 PM

" you can see the sea,it's over there between the land and the sky"

Slightly off your topic,i see Walter Trout live every year,they use Mesa Boogie amps(all valve),and a Hammond B3 organ(all valve also),and the sound is awesome!!!

Martin