World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Wish List
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wish List Poll your project wishes here

Old 27th February 2006, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Integrated valve amp with phono stage

I too am just an interested party where heating systems are concerned, I claim no expertise.....

We recently changed our heating system, we have 2 bathrooms, one with a decent shower (3 bar pump) and the other with a large cast iron bath. From what I can tell, if you want hot water to be used in more than one place at a time you need a reserve of hot water (ie a tank). If you want good hot water pressure you need a hot water tank.

There are combi's that supply high pressure, they are more industrial and will cost. In a house with 2 people a combi will probably be ok, for a family of 4 wanting hot water a any time (often at the same time) and at good pressure then all the advice I received in the end was anti-combi. We also converted our heating system for 4 floors to a pressurised system at the same time (big improvement).
Old 27th February 2006, 05:22 PM

Gone off thread I know - but Combi's are bad news. As an ex British Gas Service Technician, I can verify that they do often go wrong and are difficult to work on / expensive to repair. Can be prone to scaling up (depending on where you live) and are slow to run baths! If you must have one fitted, make sure you take out a good service contract!!!

Ok back to the wish list now.... maybe a valve amp heated hot water system!!!!

Mike.
Old 27th February 2006, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealG
Well, yes Paul! But there's enough out there buying them for the likes of REL to make a business out of it!
Or on the other hand perhaps not!

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-...ws.php?id=8508
Old 27th February 2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart
why not check the market thoroughly and buy a solar water heating system and fit it yourself.
We popped over to Calais this weekend to load up on a few "essentials". I was surprised to see a big (8' X 4' -ish) solar panel kit on sale in a mainstream DIY superstore for just over a grand. Started me thinking seriously about installing one.

They seem to be a bit ahead of us in Europe where these things are concerned.
Old 27th February 2006, 11:15 PM
WD Archivist

Yes, they do like their solar panels, but the rest of their roof work is the worst you could ever find. Turkey is the worst of all. I can't believe what they get away with. If a British type gale struck, most of it would come tumbling down.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 28th February 2006, 12:32 AM

Thanks all, much food for thought there. Is there a prize for the most off-thread discussion of the year?
Old 1st March 2006, 12:18 AM

LOL this one has strayed a bit hasn't it?

The quality of building work across Europe is 'variable' to put it mildly.

French plumbers will never run one pipe when twelve will do. In our flat in Paris the khazi looked like the boiler room of the Ark Royal.
Old 1st March 2006, 12:24 AM

when we had or new central heating, the plumber obviously didn't like me he left a sardine stuffed up the overflow pipe of the kitchen sink!!!!
not a nice man

Old 1st March 2006, 08:44 AM

Did you make him enough teas and coffees's? I herd heard? (well I don't know how to spell it) about a plumber who itemises everything on his bill, ptfe £1.00, ntnc £5.00 and so on. (no tea no coffee).

I have taken over a few plumbing jobs half finished, it's a nightmare they seem to put too many pipes in thw rong places and half their joints leak but because you are the guy who is there when the water goes in it's you that's up till midnight draining down fixing leak refilling, finding another draining down prbly 3 or 4 times, takes 6 hours or more, and is classed by customer as a freebie because plumbers shouldn't get leaks.

Then ethere are the non payers. there are people who professionally get a run down house, get in all the teams to completely renovate it, hold up the bill nit pickiung about the smallest things, sell up and move on without paying anyone. Usually female.

Mate of mine worked for one of these types for 3 months, got all hius materials but she cleverly kept back his labour and didn't pay. Being a different character to me, and coming from the sort of crowd in Newcastle who go round the night clubs collecting breef cases full of raw cash to take back to Mr Big, he knew who to send round. They warned her, then they went in, took her computers and gave the man a beating. He never got a penny and everyone knows SH computers are worthless. So that avenue doesn't work.

I had two so far for about 200 each over last 4 years. I sent in professional debt collectors.. who cost me about 200 themselves so I added a third to my bad debts and they never got a penny.

My other m8 has a different approach he truns off their stop cock and fills hole with fixafoam.

I think the sardine is quite good...

On a plumbing course, met a guy from Manchester wher it's quite normal to put gate valves under floor as you do the work and turn them on after you've been payed....
Old 1st March 2006, 11:20 AM

I think the trouble is with the modern apprenticeship system, Too much time in the classroom, not enough practical experience. The newest generation of tradesmen want to spent minimum time on a job for maximum profit. They don't seem to take pride in their work, - it's a kind of that'll do attitude. When I watch Rogue Traders or House of Horrors on TV I cringe at the basic faults these guys miss. - They just don't understand the systems they are working on. I could do the jobs for half of what they charge and still make a profit! I still work in the gas industry, but with telemetry and instrumentation, however the skills learnt as a gas service apprentice will never be forgotten! If I put up a shelf, the slots in the screw heads all line up the same way!!!!! (just my point of view by the way - I know not all tradesmen are rougues)!

Mike.