World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 6th November 2019, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Squeezer 1.5.1 App on Android 8

Thanks Mark and Richard.
I got to the root of atleast some of it.
Turns out that even after a factory reset the darn thing was still registered toan email address we haven't used in 4 years since moving house and ISP. So I finally managed after a few attempts to re register it to the new email, this then made it visible to the PC.
I used to use it with a USB drive loaded with media so I understand that part of it and hopefully this will function again.
Ah yes Internet radio, it still doesn't like the new BBC hi res feeds so that part was never updated as the Logitech site seems to work for SB and the later devices it sells. I have to say that I would loveit if there was a way to update the firmware/software to allow the current BBC feeds as I do like a bit of Radio3 and now I don't have a decent FM signal down in the valley here I basically rely on internet radio. I suspect this will be impossible but it seems that Richard has a way to stream hi res media via squeezebox. I don't need the SB own DAC, although its quite competent, I prefer to use an optical SP DIF into my Rega SaturnR CDplayer/DAC which is a very nice bit of kit and also has a good USB input that will do the full 192kHz thing if I ever feel the need. I have to say that I find CD quality either .WAV or from the disc direct to be as good as I need to these geriatric ear 'oles. Thanks for the pointers, I would use the SB remote if it wasn't for the unfortunate fact that a standard Phillips remote control for CD and amplifier interferes with the SB so I have a piece of black tape over the IR sensor. So the phone controller is a boon. If anyone knows of a way to disable the IR sensor I would be grateful.
The SB touch is/was to my opinion a bloody good idea and why Logitech pulled the plug rather than develop the technology into a multiroom system baffles me as mostly when it works its a nice compact solution as an addition to traditional stereo setups.
Ta Chaps I shall show our Jamie the info and he reckons once he's got the newtwork talking to its various bits it should be relatively easy to get the media working.

Andy
Old 6th November 2019, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck Andy, let us know how he gets on.

"Turns out that even after a factory reset the darn thing was still registered to an email address we haven't used in 4 years since moving house and ISP. So I finally managed after a few attempts to re register it to the new email, this then made it visible to the PC."

Yes I bought a Boom second-hand that was still registered to the previous owner so I couldn't register it. Fortunately he was able to delete it from his mysqueezebox.com account and it then worked on mine. I gather that Logitech can/could un-register them but that now they no longer need to be registered. Check your device is showing in mysqueezebox.com Players, and that the LMS Account tab on the PC has your correct email and password.

Hi Mark, does Internet Radio on Squeezer work with the simple connection? I'd like to know if radio depends on mysqueezebox.com. Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 05:34 PM

Hi Richard,

I will see if I can get internet radio to work with the Touch and Squeezer tonight.

I agree that the Touch was and still is a very good idea, but it's been left behind by things like the Pi with something like Volumio and a mobile phone to talk to it. It's sooo much easier to do anything, including internet radio and streaming than LMS. My Touch is still registered to the previous owner too, but I have never had to engage with LMS until recently, and that was hell. I was trying to use PiCorePlayer, which uses LMS, on the Pi and I never got it to work. The squeezebox website was opaque to say the least. But I guess if you've climbed the LMS networking learning curve then it's worth continuing.

Mark
Old 6th November 2019, 07:34 PM

Hi Richard,

In short, yes you can connect to internet radio with only Squeezer, a phone, a Touch and wifi. The route I have just followed is as follows. Fire up Squeezer on your phone, scroll down to Internet Radio and off you go. I got to BBC Radio 3 via Internet Radio/Local/London/All Stations/BBC Radio 3.

Mark
Old 6th November 2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Hi Richard,

In short, yes you can connect to internet radio with only Squeezer, a phone, a Touch and wifi. The route I have just followed is as follows. Fire up Squeezer on your phone, scroll down to Internet Radio and off you go. I got to BBC Radio 3 via Internet Radio/Local/London/All Stations/BBC Radio 3.

Mark
And I'm willing to bet at no better than 128kb/s MP3 quality as the BBC seem to have pulled the 320kb/S stream off the internet feed, and squeezebox isn't compatible with the current weird codec the BBC use on their platform. I always could get the basic BBC internet feeds, just not the hi res stuff but it looks like Auntie Beeb has followed the mob and gone down the lowest common denominator path.

A
Old 6th November 2019, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

That's excellent thanks Mark. That's exactly how radio works on my set up and it may be easier to make a play list of favourite stations as remembering where they are can be a game. The only real difference is that my FLACs are played off PC via LMS rather than the stick. What I didn't know was if mysqueezebox.com was a portal which was needed for radio and streaming. It looks like the radio must just work on URL links I suppose but they certainly populate station icons and play nearly instantly.

I think SBT was simply way ahead of the market. Support for it 10 years ago must have been a nightmare. I've been on the web since the dial-up 90's so am used to suffering and blue screens. 5 years ago when I bought my first SBT I got it going without too much fuss, starting with just a few CD rips. The sound was always excellent and I could see the convenience of 300+ albums available instantly. I now have 2 SBT both using the usb sockets to connect to dacs hence why I can't easily try the simple connection again myself. I did try it in the early days with a few FLACs on a stick but it was slow and clunky using the remote and SBT screen back then.

Anyway, fast forward and these days home wifi is so much better I cannot remember a drop-out. We have 2 SBT and a Boom, and Squeezer controller on 2 phones and a tablet. Any controller can be picked up and works any device. The 3 will all play different music at the same time or can be synch'd to the same one. In short it runs near perfectly but I don't know what will happen when Logitech finally pulls the plug. Perhaps, if they no longer need to be registered, the devices will continue to work from LMS alone and the radio too.

I did find today that LMS still talks to mysqeezebox.com as it showed all my devices and their new names despite me not logging in there for years but I haven't tried removing the log-in info from LMS Account to see if it stops working.
Old 6th November 2019, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerhifinut View Post
And I'm willing to bet at no better than 128kb/s MP3 quality as the BBC seem to have pulled the 320kb/S stream off the internet feed, and squeezebox isn't compatible with the current weird codec the BBC use on their platform. I always could get the basic BBC internet feeds, just not the hi res stuff but it looks like Auntie Beeb has followed the mob and gone down the lowest common denominator path.

A

Hi Andy, a google turned up this post which gives the BBC station URLs. They seem live but Media Player and Foobar couldn't open them. The link in the post to the free open source VLC media player is also live so you could load that which should get the streams to the PC but how would we play them at any decent quality then? It seems poorly thought out. Why provide a hires stream which is only available on a computer? There must be a way to play it on other platforms surely?
https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/1...adio-stations/
Old 6th November 2019, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, just loaded VLC media player and the streams inc 6 are still live and play on the computer...
Old 6th November 2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Hi Andy, a google turned up this post which gives the BBC station URLs. They seem live but Media Player and Foobar couldn't open them. The link in the post to the free open source VLC media player is also live so you could load that which should get the streams to the PC but how would we play them at any decent quality then? It seems poorly thought out. Why provide a hires stream which is only available on a computer? There must be a way to play it on other platforms surely?
https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/1...adio-stations/
Sadly Richard it isn't the case, I suspect its the BBC's paranoia about non licence fee payers getting the full fat service, which is crazy as broadcast radio has not required a receiving licence for decades now, but to access the BBC I player or whatever its called now, you have to prove you are a licence payer, they say because you can access TV. The whole set up is a farce and it seems that the BBC Heirarchy are completely insulated from the real world of their audience and the devices they own. I imagine they think everyone gets a new iPhone every 6 months on expenses and so thhe output is geared to the convenience of mobile phones at the cost of sound quality etc.
Oh well rant over
Old 8th November 2019, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Yes like it or not I think the beeb's days are numbered Andy. It will be market forces in the end as people switch to subscription viewing. Of course they'll try to charge a subscription for anything worth watching and maintain a licence fee for a while, but it will eventually all collapse and we'll be left with adverts or paying or both.

Now then, BBC Radio 6 is available on Squeezebox Touch. The fastest way to find a particular radio station from the numerous menus is >Internet Radio scroll straight to the bottom >Search and put in BBC or Radio Paradise etc. The programme is quite good in a funky jazz sort of way but the sound is way behind FM quality I'm afraid. This is obvious with all the internet stations such as Classic FM which I can compare on AB switching between SBT and FM tuner. In these days of faster connections internet radio should be at least 320kb imho which might finally persuade some folk away from FM. Or, put the likes of Radio 6 on FM which would be great, but politically impossible for the BBC after all its digital blunderings.