World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 26th September 2020, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: difficult without a Smartphone in today’s world

"Well needs to be Full HD unlocked and have good smooth operation that has no lag so large memory and storage capacity and have a descent grade camera. And gets updates regularly for the life of the phone can you get all that for a budget of between £150/250 I doubt it"

Ok, I asked myself the same question,
What if my 2 year old moto G6 Plus packed up tomorrow?
Answer I'd get a Moto G8 Power compared below.
Reason is I'm very happy with the G6 Plus (in fact my Samsung tablet lies unused as I mainly use the phone these days) but that model is no longer available and the nearest equivalent is higher spec in every area so should be better than the one I have now,

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g6_plus-9001.php

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_mo...ower-10052.php
Old 26th September 2020, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Richard
Thank you that should give me a better idea on specs and what to look for and keep me busy and many seem to be within my budget price
Thanks
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 26th September 2020, 10:22 PM

Hi Collin,
Should get a decent iPhone XS/ XS max for around that price.
Don’t dismiss text tho as iPhone can use dictation for texting (and Android can be added I think) So that may be a big help for you
Good luck with your choice
Martin
Old 13th October 2020, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Hi All
Well, here I am back on this thread again. Thanks, Richard and all for the pointers on some phones And giving I have issues with a basic cost sim card Sort of £5.00 up costing me more than my monthly landline call charges which are why I don’t want the buy a mobile phone unless I can just top up a sim card without It expiring and losing what’s left on it. I did find this link so what’s your views on this or steer clear of it https://www.1pmobile.com/
Look forward to hearing what you all say about this

PS. i am not being a cheapskate i just don't want call charges to be much more than my calls are now from£0.00/£3.00 odd a month see what i mean as you can see i don't use a phone much
Thanks.
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s

Old 13th October 2020, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Col,

I bought an unlocked phone and then looked for a monthly "SIM only " contract similar to here only mine isn't quite as good , trust me, if you use more than that £9 8GB data you'll end up short sighted ok, edit, taking landline standing charges into account mobiles aren't too expensive. Perhaps you'd use the data streaming films but you couldn't do that on a landline.

https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/s...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 13th October 2020, 08:57 PM
WD Archivist

Of course, Colin, the other consideration is that once you realise the convenience and versatility of a smartphone, you user habit could readily change for the better. £9 a month all in (after handset purchase) seems a pretty good deal to me for more service than you’ll ever need and no unexpected extra call charges on those odd occasions when you unexpectedly need to make a lot of calls.
Old 13th October 2020, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
Of course, Colin, the other consideration is that once you realise the convenience and versatility of a smartphone, you user habit could readily change for the better. £9 a month all in (after handset purchase) seems a pretty good deal to me for more service than you’ll ever need and no unexpected extra call charges on those odd occasions when you unexpectedly need to make a lot of calls.
Yes to Paypal

Old 13th October 2020, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Hi Col,

I bought an unlocked phone and then looked for a monthly "SIM only " contract similar to here only mine isn't quite as good , trust me, if you use more than that £9 8GB data you'll end up short sighted ok, edit, taking landline standing charges into account mobiles aren't too expensive. Perhaps you'd use the data streaming films but you couldn't do that on a landline.

https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/s...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
HI Richard/Greg
Thanks for the link
The Problem I seem to be having is understand how the sim card works as I understand it expires at the end of the month if it is not used
so say its £9.00 ok that’s fine but if I don’t use it or part of it within the month I lose it when the card expires. then I would just be wasting cash that £9.00 is about two months call for me but if I use some of it can I just top it up again and keep it floating around that £9.00 each month just by topping it up
Hope that makes sense I am starting to fall behind with this technology now I am becoming that old git

Old 13th October 2020, 10:17 PM

Colin, have you factored into your costs how you intend to get broadband without a landline? (If you were to go mobile-only)
Alastair
Old 13th October 2020, 10:23 PM
WD Archivist

No, the Virgin contract that Richard suggests is exactly that, a monthly contract regardless of how much use you make of it. This is not a ‘pay as you go’ contract which seems to be what you are thinking of. Any lack of use does not result in loss. You pay £9 a month every month regardless of your use which would only increase in price if you exceeded the limits of the contract which is highly unlikely. In these circumstances, I estimate you will be better off ditching your landline. You’ve highlighted your low landline use without figuring in your standing line rental which is obviously more expensive that the calls you make.
So, IMHO, your best option is to buy a smartphone from an independent source (in other words, a supplier who does not also offer a telephone service, as such suppliers lock you and your phone into their services only and it can be a pain in the **** to get your phone unlocked at a later date). I have suggested John Lewis as I have bought at best price from them twice before. Remember, they claim to be never undersold and will return the difference if you can find it cheaper. Once you have your unlocked phone, you can select a service provider contract that suits you, and certainly, the £9 Virgin sim only contract Richard has pointed you towards is probably the most competitive at the moment. It’ll give you everything you need, provided the service works where you live.

So to recap, never buy your handset from a company which is also a service provider. Buy from an independent supplier because you will ensure having an open unlocked phone. Then choose your service contract from a provider, taking into consideration at the time of doing so, what coverage that service supplier has in your area which is important if you live well away from towns, cities or major roads. Talk to local people to establish who they consider offer the best signal and coverage, because for sure, they will know.

Thereafter, you should end up with a much enhanced personal communication service and cut your overall costs. What’s not to like.