World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 25th January 2006, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Gyro Tweaks

Rubber washer or not, it 'aint gonna give you the same feeling of drive!

Edit: glass is wrong IMHO, better with a thick chunk of ply at minimum. What counter weight do you have at the moment? Is it an RB300? Can't recall.
Old 25th January 2006, 05:56 PM

How about a valve rectified DC supply for the Gyro/Orbe motors ?? Is that a "Wish List" topic ??
Old 25th January 2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealG
Rubber washer or not, it 'aint gonna give you the same feeling of drive!
Probably not, no.

Quote:
Edit: glass is wrong IMHO, better with a thick chunk of ply at minimum.
Have some ply, will try. Don't expect much though, as I have tried the Mana kit with the glass and the boards,and could hear no difference, but could try the ply anyway.

Quote:
What counter weight do you have at the moment? Is it an RB300? Can't recall.
Standard small Tungsten RB600 weight, after I was told not to bother with a Technoweight or others. Too subtle. The arm must go !! It may stay, and I may get another 103 to use in it, which would sound OK, but I think it is a little too heavy and cumbersome for the Grado. I think the Grado would like to see a slightly lower mass arm, and definitely a unipivot. Maybe a Mayware, Sonus, Morch, Nima, Morsianni or the likes.
Old 25th January 2006, 06:01 PM

Ah! yes I remember the conversation over on the WAD BB. Agreed, counter weight = waste of time with the 300. So, the arm must go then!? Make the ply thick, none of the 12 mm stuff, use two sheets of 18mm.
Old 25th January 2006, 06:02 PM

Does sound very much as if you've explored all of the lower cost options if you've already rewired the arm.....I assume you've tried the same cartridge on the Lenco?....I was amazed at how much faster,detailed etc the sound was when the cartridge was upgraded....like a whole new system.
Old 25th January 2006, 06:05 PM

The arm is a 600 Neal. (still no real improvement on a 300 IMO).

Alex, I have not tried any other arms for years, and have been using the RB600 on all decks between then and now. I really need to get a decent arm I think.
Old 25th January 2006, 06:54 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Lee,

The rubber washer tweak is one of Len Gregory's. Reference to it is in this article. http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/orbetweak_e.html

I can't explain the reason for the difference between the VC and the HR PSU's but I can assure you that it is very noticeable with the HR producing much fuller extended and well controlled bass. It had the same sort of impact on sound as moving from the standard platter to the Orbe. You really ought to try either the HR or the battery option before you dismiss the Gyro. I can easily send you the battery circuit to you. It's only breadboarded at present anyway. Send me a PM with your address.

Alex, I was probably being a bit unfair on OL. I used to have one of their motors and top of range PSU and I didn't think it represented value for money. The motor was very lacking in torque. I think OL have moved on and I don't have experience of their later products.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 25th January 2006, 07:26 PM

I have read that review a long time ago Greg, but I must have missed the little bit about the rubber washer. I will give that a go too. Worth a try, but to be honest, I am not sure I could hear the differences that the author was going on about when I tried blu-tack, rubber, metal or any other armboard spacers. I must have very poor hearing. Mind you, I am not using either a Hadcock 242 or an SME V. . Maybe that is the difference. The arm.

Thanks for the offer of the PSU too. I will not bother until I have a different arm, and I may then take you up on it. If a different (read better) arm AND a better PSU does nothing for it, then it's going. End of story.
Old 26th January 2006, 06:05 PM

Does anybody out there have a photo to post, showing how this rubber washer fits?

Regards,

Dave.
Old 26th January 2006, 10:29 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Dave,

Bearing as standard.

Bearing with washer.

Best wishes,

Greg